Charlie
Charlie, Technician
Experience:  24 years of experience, with the last 18 being exclusively with printers.

hp 4700 with color registration problem. If multiple copies

hp 4700 with color registration problem. If multiple copies of the same thing are printed, in only happens on the first page. Problem is intermittent when the printer is warm.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Charlie replied 2 years ago.

Charlie :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I appreciate the question.

Charlie :

The problem may be with the balck cartridge. The machine calibrates on the black first. If there is a problem with the black cartridge then this throws the shole calibration off.

Charlie :

If this does not work please let me know if there is one paprticular color that seems to be peeking out from the others.

Customer:

The first thing I did was change the black cartridge. We have tried three different ones, and it still does the same thing.

Charlie :

Try a half cycle test.

Charlie :

1. Print a test page.

Charlie :

2. Listen for paper movement.

Customer:

I did that as well. Problem is on the paper before it gets to the fuser.

Charlie :

3. When you believe the page is in front of the toner cartridges, Open the cartridge access door.

Charlie :

4. Inspect the page for the defect.

Charlie :

If the problem is present in the imaging area then we can continue to toubleshoot. It the image is fine there then the fuser is suspect.

Customer:

One of the things that makes it difficult to trouble shoot is that it only seems to do it when the printer is cold. So, you have to wait awhile between tests.

Charlie :

I this is the case the ETB may be the problem.

Customer:

Is there a way to test this theory without replacing the ETB?

Charlie :

If you have another machine like it, the units can be swapped.

Customer:

Please explain how the ETB could be causing the problem.

Charlie :

One ofthe other cartridges may also be defective too, but it is definitely in that area.

Charlie :

This is what transfers the image to the page. If it slips while moving the belt an image distortion may result.

Customer:

As noted in my "already tried" section, I have replaced all the cartridges with no change. Another repair person suggested that it might me a misaligned laser scanner.

Charlie :

If there is on paprticular color that seems to make a halo arund the image then yes it may be that color. I have seen this myself.

Charlie :

RThere are 4 laser scanner units in this machine.

Charlie :

do you have a service manual?

Charlie :

In my case the magenta made a halo around the inages at some points. If you need a manual just follow this link http://www.image1products.com/techdocs.new/HP%20stuff/Color%204700.pdf

Customer:

I do have that manual and from that exact source. I thought it was the black based upon one print job, but later on I saw other print jobs with other colors misaligned.

Customer:

Back to the ETB. If it was that, why would it only do it on the first page and not every page. They do have another 4700, but it is in another office about 40 miles away. I will check it to see if the belt has any slippage that I can detect.

Charlie :

It is hard to say. I believe that the only way to find out at this point the beat way to tell is to replace the unit. The troubleshooting on page 458, (438 on the page ) of the manual calls for this. t is just after the toner cartridges in order of likelyhood.

Customer:

My customer has a transfer kit in there other office, and is supposed to bring it to the office with the above printer sometime next week, so I will be able to see if the ETB is the problem

Charlie :

No problem. Just let me know what happens.

Customer:

Customer finally brought the transfer kit, and I installed it. They ran numerous proofs today for their book and everything was fine. This was a tough one, and it looks like you solved it.

Charlie, Technician
Experience: 24 years of experience, with the last 18 being exclusively with printers.