Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

I have a Canon iP3500 printer and the black ink cartridge will

I have a Canon iP3500 printer and the black ink cartridge will not print. Even though the cartridge had ink in it, I put in a new cartridge - same problem. I ran the utility to do deep cleaning and deep cleaning, and the black bars don't even show up.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

It seems the contacts on the print head are damaged and you have to replace the print head to resolve the issue, but before that you can follow the steps below to remove the print head and then cleaning the copper contacts on them with a cotton swab dampened in distilled water until they are clean, after drying them reseat the print head and check the issue. If the problem persist, then replace the print head to resolve the issue.

1. Ensure that the printer is on, and then open the Top Cover. The Print Head Holder moves to the center.

Note: If the Top Cover is left open for more than 10 minutes, the Print Head Holder moves to the right. Close and reopen the Top Cover to return the holder to the center.

2. Open the Paper Output Tray.

3. Remove the ink tanks.

Caution: Handle ink tanks carefully to avoid staining clothing or the surrounding area. Discard empty ink tanks according to the local laws and regulations regarding disposal of consumables.

4. When removing the print head, raise the print head lock lever first.

Print head nozzles <1>, electrical contacts <2>, or ink supply ports <3>.

5. Place the print head in the holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.

6. Install the ink tanks.

(1) Insert the ink tank into the Print Head.

(2) Press on the 'PUSH' mark on the ink tank until the ink tank snaps firmly into place.

<1> Seated correctly
    <2> Not seated correctly

(3) Ensure that the ink tank lamps light red.

Important: Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed in the order directed by the label. The printer cannot be used unless all the ink tanks are installed.

Note: Ensure that the Inner Cover is closed. Printing will not occur if the Inner Cover is open.

7. Close the Top Cover. The Print Head Holder moves to the right. The ink tank installation process is now complete.
  • The ALARM lamp still flashes orange after the Top Cover is closed if an ink tank is not installed properly. Open the Top Cover and make sure that all the ink tanks are installed in the correct order directed on the label.
  • To maintain optimal print quality, use an ink tank within six months of first use.
  • Once an ink tank has been used, do not remove it from the printer and leave it out in the open. This will cause the ink tank to dry out and the printer may not operate properly when it is reinstalled.
  • Color ink consumption may occur even when black-and-white or gray scale printing is specified.
    Color ink is consumed in the head cleaning and deep cleaning, which are necessary to maintain the printer.
  • When you start printing after replacing the ink tank, Print Head Cleaning is performed automatically. Do not perform any other operations until the Print Head Cleaning finishes. The POWER lamp flashes green during cleaning.
Note: When starting printing next time, the print head cleaning launches automatically.
During the print head cleaning, the Power lamp flashes green. Do not do other operations until the flashes stops.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried what you suggested, but the black cartridge is NOT printing.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
Then, unfortunately the print head is defective and you have to replace the print head to solve the problem. The part number of the print head is QY6-0070-000.To order an internal replacement part, please call 1-800-828-4040. The hours of operation are 9:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. EST from Monday to Friday. When calling, speak the term "order parts" when the speech routing system asks the reason for your call. You will immediately be routed to the Parts Desk for assistance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does it seem likely that replacing the print head will take care of the problem? Or do you think it could be another problem? I'd hate to spend the $65 - $70 on a print head only to find out that's not the answer.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
This is the most common problems with Canon print head and I have seen 99% of this problem gets resolved after resolving the print head. The problem can also caused by defective cartridges, but as you have already replaced the black cartridge and still facing the problem, this indicates towards the print head, no other spares can cause this type of problem except cartridges and print head.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience: Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for taking the time to provide good detailed instructions and to answer my followup questions. I appreciate your help.