John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My HP 3180 fax / printer has an error message Cartridge error,

Customer Question

My HP 3180 fax / printer has an error message "Cartridge error, Refer to device documents to troubleshoot" I cannot locate the documents. Can you help me troubleshoot? I have replaced the ink and aligned the cartridges. It will not print or fax. I cannot retrieve a fax log.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Please follow the steps below:

1- Remove ALL the ink cartridges from the printer

2- Check that there is no residual tape on the cartridges.

3- Then clean the contacts (the hole where the ink comes out) on the cartridges as well as inside the printer itself

NOTE: Clean the contacts with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.

4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.

5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 60 seconds

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the issue persists. IF NO LUCK, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

7- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

8- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The cartridges are clean but there is about three years of built up ink in the area directly below the cartridges. I'm not sure I can access the area to clean it. Can you be specific about what you mean by " clean inside the printer itself " Where exactly do I need to clean? Thanks
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
I mean inside the printer where the ink cartridges are placed.

Also, are you using genuine HP cartridges or generic/refilled ones? Please click "Reply to your expert" to let me know. Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am using HP ink cartridges. I'll keep cleaning and let you know how it goes....thanks
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome!

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit / debit / or PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, the printer and the cartridges are clean, the black ink cartridge is new, the color cartridge is full and fairly new. I followed all your instructions (except replace the color ink with a new cartridge which means a trip to the store but I will if necessary). The error message is still there. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK, please unplug the printer from the electric outlet for 5 minutes, then plug it back.

If no luck, then please try with new cartridge(s), genuine HP ones.

If no luck with new cartridges, then unfortunately the printer is defective. If the printer is out of warranty, you may prefer a new printer for a similar/better price than a repair. Amazon has very good prices usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info ---> http://tinyurl.com/PrintersAmazon

Please note I do NOT work for HP so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I will get some new ink and let you know how it goes....
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!