Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a HP Officejet 4315 printer connected to a HP Windows

I have a HP Officejet 4315 printer connected to a HP Windows XP Computer. This printer is shared. I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7. I have been using this shared printer for 6+ months. A couple days ago my computer could not connect to this shared computer and the add printer wizard cannot find it. I also tried to add the printer manually by adding a local printer, but it does recognize the network path. I have also deleted the driver and reinstalled. Nothing seems to work. My wife has the same Toshiba laptop and prints with no issue.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

IT is not going to find that printer if it cant find the computer.

If it worked a few days ago try doing a sytem restore to a few days before the problem occured. It could be a bad firewall setting or the workgroup name is XXXXX XXXXX a bunch of other things. The restore might fix them without bothering to check everything to see what it is exactly

type system restore in the white search box and select system restore from the results

select restore to an earlier date.

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settngs box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No success. This is not an acceptable solution. Don't you have any questions about the settings in the host computer compared to the Windows 7 computer? I have researched this for 4 hours with no success.

Show me that you are the "Expert".

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

If a third computer will connect to it with no problem than the problem is NOT with the host computer. I mean i suppose that it could have a firewall specifically blocking the windows 7 computer but that would seem doubtful unless somebody set it that way on purpose.

The problem is with the windows 7 computer. Does it have the correct workgroup name ? can it see the third computer ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where would I see the third computer? Does XP have workgroup or is that just Windows 7?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Yes the workgroup name on xp is under control panel / system / computer name tab

and the network neighborhood should show all of the computers in the workgroup

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see that I am connect to the my wife's workgroup, but not the host computer running Windows XP. The workgroup name ont he host computer is MSHOME.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
all the work groups need to be the same
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK how do I do that?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

this page shows step by step how to do it in windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Join-or-create-a-workgroup

in xp it is similar but easier ( as are most things in xp )

right click on my computer

select properties

click computer name tab

click change next to computer name

make sure that workgroup and not domain is checked and put the worgroup name in the box

click ok

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I think we are getting closer, but the Windows 7 laptop cannot find the host printer. USB001 port is not visible on the Windows 7 computer.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

dont do it that way.

go to the network neighborhood and browse to the host computer

double click on that and you should see the printer hanging off of it

double click on the printer and it will say that it needs to be installed before you can use it. click the button to install it.

You may need the windows 7 drivers for the printer it depends whether you have installed them already or if they come with win 7 alot of them do.

In any case installing it by locating it first tells windows where it is and you wont have a problem with the port. Its not going to be a usb port in any case because its not connected to a usb port on the win 7 computer so the port will be some sort of virtual port that directs it to the printer driver on the host machine

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I am now confused. So I am going to the Windows 7 laptop to find the host computer (Windows XP)? Where is the network neighborhood on Windows 7? I thought I had it, but I must have been mistaken.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

I swear microsoft peaked with xp. since then they have just made the same things more dificult to find as a way of justifying selling new software

in windows 7 click start menu / computer on the bottom left it should say network

much better than just clicking the network neighborhood button on xp huh ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I got it, but I do not see the host computer MSHOME.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

That should not be the name of the host computer that should be the workgroup

you should see the workgroup and under the work group you should see all computers in the workgroup which should be all 3 of them

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see my laptop and my wife's. No workgroup MSHOME

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

what workgroup are they in ?

can you see the host computer from your wifes computer ?

can the host computer see either your comptuer or your wifes computer ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My wife's computer show all three computers.

Ever since I restored my compter to a few days ago my wireless has been disconnecting and reconnecting every few minutes. This going from bad to worse.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

That shouldnt effect the wireless but you can undo the restore

go to the same place you did the restore there will be an option to undo it

your wife shows all 3 computers

what does your computer show

what does the host computer show

are they all hooked up via wireless or are some of them through ethernet ? which ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My computer show my computer and my wife's. No host computer or workgroup.

The host computer show my computer and my wife's under "The Internet" and "SharedDocs on Comprecruiting" under Local Network

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

which computer is "comprecruiting"

and yours and your wifes should be in the local network not the internet.

are they all going through wireless or are some of them ethernet ?

change them ALL to a different workgroup. just use any name but they ALL have to be in the same workgroup. and you probably have to reboot them after you change it before it takes effect.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

comprecruiting is the host computer

Both are connected to the same wireless connection. The host computer is connected to ethernet.

Changed all workgroup to a differenr name. All are the same. rebooted all computers. None of our laptops are listed under local network in the host computer.

I do see all 3 computers under "Network" on my computer running Windows 7.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
well thats a little better than what happens when you double click on the comprecruiting from the windows 7 computer do you see the printer ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Error message "Windows cannot access \\comprecruiting"

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
Turn off the firewalls on all 3 computers. then try it again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That did not help. I can access my wife's laptop, but not the host computer.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

on each of the computers in the run box type

cmd

hit return

in the black box type

ipconfig

hit return

tell me what it says on each of them

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Host Computer

IP address: 192.168.1.4

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

My Laptop

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.5

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Wife's Laptop

Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80: :f0c4: 66d5 : 404a : 76ca%11

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.3

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

There is also a lot of information on the Tunnel Adaptor. Not sure if you need info as well.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

no thats enough. they seem to be running on different versions of tcp/ip

in the network connections folder click on the connection that each of them is using and select properties

make sure they are all running tcp/ip version 6

you can click add and select protocol

it should be there to add if it is not already on the list

while you are in the properties make sure that it has file and printer sharing

and go into the other tcp/ip that does not say v 6

under advanced / wins tab

check the box for enable net bios over tcp/ip

then reboot them all and try it again

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can across something. Please look at the below link. If I paste the IP Address from the host computer into the Windows Explorer address bar it will bring up the host printers. I clicked on the printer I wanted and it down loaded the software and I can now print on the network. It sound like a short-term fix. How do I change tcp/ip on Windows XP? It is showing me it is automatic.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/windows-7-network-error-code-0xhref="http://www.justanswer.com/printers-and-office/5ec8t-hp-officejet-4315-printer-co nnected-hp-windows.html0070035-windows/href="http://www.justanswer.com/printers-and-office/5ec8t-hp-officejet-4315-printer-connected-hp-windows.html4791143-b70a-4ec2-b700-9href="http://www.justanswer.com/printers-and-office/5ec8t-hp-officejet-4315-printer-connected-hp-windows.htmldf657fe45c

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

that link says temporarily unavailable

which part of the tcp/ip could you not do on the xp

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm back. OK I did this on all computers and rebooted them, but the only way the Windows 7 laptops would connect to the internet is if TCP/v6 AND TCP/v4 were selected. If I just selected TCP/v6 it would not connect. The good news is I can now see all computers in the host computer's workgroup. I do not see the the two Windows 7 laptops in "Local Network" on the host computer. Still cannot access the host computer from my laptop.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

can you send me a screenshot of what you mean ? I dont understand where the workgroup would be if its not part of the local network

hold alt button down hit print screen button release buttons

click start menu / all programs / accesories / paint

click edit / paste

click file / save as

save as a jpg file in my pictures

on the top of this window click the insert button it should be a paper clip to right of the smiley face.

click browse.

click browse in the 2nd window that pops up

browse to the file you just saved in my pictures

click ok

click insert back in the first window

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Thats weird because they are in the same workgroup and on the same subnet.

What kind of security programs have you got running on any of them ? Something like norton or macafee is going to require you to put the other computers or the network into a "safe zone"

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Norton. I disbaled security on the Host and my computer, but no luck. I am going to send the link I found last night again. I can still print with no problem. The link address that Windows 7 reconginizes IP addresses and not computer names. If the link does not work I will send it in a JPEG.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/windows-7-network-error-code-0xhref="http://www.justanswer.com/printers-and-office/5ec8t-hp-officejet-4315-printer- connected-hp-windows.html0070035-windows/href="http://www.justanswer.com/printers-and-office/5ec8t-hp-officejet-4315-printer-connected-hp-windows.html4791143-b70a-4ec2-b700-9href="http://www.justanswer.com/printers-and-office/5ec8t-hp-officejet-4315-printer-connected-hp-windows.htmldf657fe45c

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

no i cant get to that link. If you could set the printer up via ip address and it works i think it will continue to work. I dont think that windows 7 wont reckognize a computer name. I mean it finds the computer by name it just wont connect to it. I think it is more likely that one of the network services is not running on one of the computers or something is blocking it.

I would be interested in what happens if you plugged the laptop in via ethernet rather than wireless. I think that may be why they are showing up as part of the internet rather than the local network because one is wired and the other wireless and it has to go through the router. You might have to add them to your trusted zone in the control panel / internet options / security tab. Usually you wouldnt have to do that but if it thinks they are in the internet zone rather than your local network they dont get the same permissions your local network does.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I unchecked the "Automatically Detect Intranet Site" and now all computers show in "Local Network", but I still cannot access through the Window 7 computer. I turned off the Norton on both computers.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

You might do better turning the norton on and adding the other computers to the safe list. Turning it off tends to just disable the interface and leave the firewall settings to block things unless you totally uninstall it.

This page has a step by step guide to setting up sharing between xp and win 7 it might be worth it to just go down the list and see if it works.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.