Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

I have a Epson Stylus SX125. My black ink cartridge is indicating

I have a Epson Stylus SX125. My black ink cartridge is indicating full having just replaced it. Also replaced yellow. Yellow color is working but not the black. All my colored cartridges are indicating enough ink and black as 100% full. Why is black, the most used color, not printing? What can I do? It is also unreachable to lift out and replace procedure because the ink level is indicating as full and won't stop to allow my fingers to remove it. Please help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

Please follow the steps below to print a test page and let me know, if all the colors are correct on it or not?

All-In-Ones with an Ink or Stop button (no LCD screen)

1. Check that there are no error lights and the green on light is steady.

2. Power off the printer.
  3. Disconnect the printer's data cable so that it is no longer connected to the computer.
  4. Make sure that A4 or Letter size paper is loaded in the auto sheet feeder.
  5. Hold down the Ink or Stop button (depending on your model) and the Power button together for 10 seconds then release them.
  6. A test page prints showing a nozzle check pattern. See Printer Operation Check result.

All-In-Ones CX3200, CX5200 and CX5400

1. Check that there are no error lights or error messages on the LCD panel.

2. Disconnect the printer's data cable so that it is no longer connected to the computer.
  3. Make sure that A4 or Letter size paper is loaded in the auto sheet feeder.
  4. Press the Right menu button until Nozzle Check is displayed then press the Colour Copy button.
  5. A test page prints showing a nozzle check pattern.

All-In-Ones DX and RX range with an LCD screen

3. Make sure that A4 or Letter size paper is loaded in the auto sheet feeder. Where appropriate check that the CD/DVD tray is not inserted in the printer and that the CD/DVD guide is up.
  4. Press the Setup button, select Nozzle Check from the LCD panel and then follow the on-screen instructions.
  5. A test page prints showing a nozzle check pattern. See Printer Operation Check result.
All-In-Ones with an LCD screen

1. Make sure both the printer and computer are turned off.
  2. If using a USB or Ethernet connection, disconnect the cable from the interface connector of the printer.
  3. Make sure that A4 size paper is loaded in the auto sheet feeder. For the PX700W/PX710W, make sure that A4 size paper is loaded in the main tray in the paper cassette.

If your printer has a CD/DVD print feature, check that it is not in CD/DVD mode or if your printer came with a CD/DVD tray, that the tray is not inserted in the printer.

4. Press the On button to turn on the printer.
  5. Press the Setup button to enter the setup mode.
  6. Press the Left or Right button to select Maintenance, then press the OK button.
  7. Press the Up or Down button to select Nozzle Check, then press the OK button.
  8. Press the Start button to start the ink nozzle check.
  9. A test page prints showing a nozzle check pattern. See Printer Operation Check result.
Stylus PX8xxxx Series (All-In-Ones with a touch-panel LCD)

To run a printer operation check, follow these steps. Use the , , or buttons to change the view of the LCD screen to find the mode you want to enter.

3. Make sure that A4 size paper is loaded in the main tray in the paper cassette. If your printer has a CD/DVD print feature, check that it is not in CD/DVD mode.
  5. Enter Setup mode from the Home menu.
  6. Enter Maintenance.
  7. Enter Nozzle Check.

Stylus Office BX3xxx Series

3. Press the On button to turn on the printer.
  5. Press the Menu button to open the copy settings menu.
  6. Press the Up or Down button to select Maintenance, then press the OK button.
  7. Press the Up or Down button to select Nozzle Check, then press the Colour Copy button to start the ink nozzle check.
  8. A test page prints showing a nozzle check pattern. See Printer Operation Check result.
Selected Stylus Color models

1. Check that there are no error lights and the green Power light is steady.
  2. Power off the printer.

If you use the parallel interface, power off both the computer and printer before disconnecting the interface cable. Unlock the wire clips on both sides of the interface connector and remove the ground connector, if necessary. Then disconnect the cable from the printer's interface connector.

5. Follow the instruction below for your printer:

• Stylus Color, Stylus Color II, Stylus Color IIs
      Stylus Color 1500
      Stylus Color 1520:

Hold down the LOAD/EJECT button and press the Power button to turn on the printer. Then release only the Power button. When the printer takes in a sheet of paper release the LOAD/EJECT button when the printer begins to print.

• Stylus Color 200:

Hold down the Cleaning button and press the Power button to turn on the printer. Then release only the Power button. When the printer takes in a sheet of paper release the Cleaning button when the printer begins to print.

• Stylus Color 500:

Hold down the Cleaning (black) button and press the Power button to turn on the printer. Then release only the Power button. When the printer takes in a sheet of paper release the Cleaning (black) button when the printer begins to print.

Business Inkjet models

B-300:

2. Disconnect the cable from the interface connector of the printer.
  3. Make sure that A4 size paper is loaded in the front paper cassette.
  4. Hold down the Paper/Cancel button and press the Power button to turn on the printer. When the printer turns on, release both the buttons.

5. A test page prints showing a firmware version and a nozzle check pattern.

To check the status and see the current values of the printer you can print a status sheet. To do this, follow steps 1-3 above and with the printer powered off, turn on the printer while holding down the Ink button. The printer prints the status sheet.

B-310N, B-500DN, B-510DN:

1. Make sure that A4 size paper is loaded in the front paper cassette.
  2. Make sure that READY appears on the LCD screen, and then press the Right button to enter menu mode. Menu appears on the LCD screen.
  3. Press the Down or Up button to select TEST PRINT, and then press the OK or Right button.
  4. Press the Down or Up button to select NOZZLE CHECK, and then press the OK or Right button.
  5. Press the OK button to print the nozzle check pattern.
  6. After printing, the cleaning menu appears. We recommend referring to the section below titled "Printer Operation Check result" to review the nozzle check pattern and check if cleaning is required and what further action to take.

Notes Icon Note:

To resume printing from a computer, you must exit the Menu mode. To do this, press the Left button twice.

If cleaning or further action is required:

• After printing, the cleaning menu appears. If you find a print quality problem, press the OK button to clean the print head.
    • To check the printer's status, print a status sheet instead by selecting STATUS SHEET from the TEST PRINT menu.
    • To print a network sheet to verify current settings of the network interface, select NETWORK SHEET from the TEST PRINT menu.

Printer Operation Check result

If the printer operation check is successful it will result in a printed nozzle check pattern. The type of nozzle check pattern produced depends on the printer model.

A nozzle check pattern example is below.

Prints OK: If a printer passes the printer operation check, this demonstrates that the internal workings of the printer are operating correctly and rules out an issue with the printer hardware.

Attempt to print again. If you are using your printer with a computer on a USB, FireWire, or Parallel connection, reconnect the printer to the computer and attempt to print again. If you are using your printer with a computer on a wired or wireless network, make sure that the printer is connected to the network before printing again.

Notes Icon Note:

If you use the parallel interface, make sure both the printer and computer are powered the before reconnecting the parallel data cable. Connect the cable to the printer and lock the wire clips on both sides of the interface connector to secure it correctly then make sure the cable is connected to the parallel interface on the computer.

If there are no print quality problems, such as gaps or missing segments in the test lines/blocks/pattern, the print head is fine. An example is below.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not understand your reply. Am not advanced IT user and this solution I can't understand. Why would only the black new Epson cartridge only be affected and not working?
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
The print head nozzle can be jammed by dry ink and thats why the black seems to be not working. You can try the steps below to clean the print head few times and check the issue.

Instructions:

1. Open the Printers or Printers and Faxes folder.

In Windows 7, click Start then Devices and Printers. In other versions of Windows:

• Click Start > Settings > Printers, or
    • Click Start > Printers, or
    • Click Start > Control Panel then double-click on:

• Printers, or
      • Printers and Faxes, or
      • Printers and Other Hardware then View Installed Printers.
    • See How to open the Printers or Printers and Faxes folder in Windows in the Related Articles section for detailed instructions.
  2. Right-click on the icon for your printer and select Printing Preferences.

Example: Windows Vista

3. This will display the Printing Preferences window.
  4. Click on the Maintenance (or Utility) tab.

5. Click on Head Cleaning. This will launch the utility.
  6. Click Start and wait for the printer to finish the first cleaning cycle.

Head Cleaning Process

Caution:

Never turn off the printer while the On light is flashing. Doing so may damage the printer.

7. Click Print Nozzle Check Pattern. This procedure will confirm the effectiveness of the head clean. You can also access the print Nozzle Check option from the Maintenance or Utility menu.

8. Click Print.

9. The printer will print a nozzle check. Compare the print out with the next window. If there are gaps, the print out is faint, click Clean, and then Finish when the procedure is complete.

• If the nozzle check is complete, click Finish.
  • If there are gaps or faint print on your printout click Clean.

If gaps are still present, perform another head clean (without printing a nozzle check between the cleans). Once the second clean is complete, power off the printer.

Wait one minute before powering it back on, then print a nozzle check. Compare the printout with the example window (above).

• If it is complete, click Finish.
  • If there are gaps or faint print on your printout carry out another set of head cleans.
  • We recommend only a maximum of six head cleans.

Note:

If gaps are still present in the nozzle check pattern, power off the printer and leave it for at least six hours.

Print a nozzle check following this period.

If this does not show improvement, then it is recommended that you install a new set of genuine Epson ink cartridges.

If only certain colours are affected, you could replace the associated cartridge. Replace any damaged or old cartridges - we recommend replacing cartridges that have been open for over 6 months (from the date the cartridge was first removed from its plastic vacuum packaging).

If this fails to resolve the issue, please repair the printer.

Source:Epson Support
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience: Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there

Had difficulty following procedure to print the print head sample but finally did. It came out feinter than online example but all colours displayed as in sample. Am noticing a couple of scratchy two tiny gaps in the third black line within the box, if this tells you something. I have another problem....need to disconnect everything and re-connect to make sure cables are working properly. I copied your answers in blue ink to a word document and saved in MY DOCUMENTS. I of course couldn't print it because black not working. Meantime I've recd. message "printer cannot print--not connected to the computer. So am stalled in following your instructions until I check my cables, disconnect and re-connect and that message no longer comes up. Sorry for all this. Please bear with me. Will get back to you....eventually.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
No problem, please follow the steps to clean the print head and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, Please accept my apologies for late response. I have experienced further problems and now suspect it is my USB cable that is dyfunctional or the plug-in slot in my laptop, although the electrical connection is fine. I now get the message, printer is not connected to your computer but cable and electrical sockets are plugged-in properly. So, I plan to get a new USB cable and prey that it is NOT my laptop connector point slot that is faulty. If this is the case, then I have "other" major problems. Printer is fairly new so not the printer's fault. In any case, even with a new USB cable connection, I will still have the black ink problem (separate from new problem) and I do have your lengthy answer saved in my word documents in blue ink so I can print off when printer and my laptop are talking to one another again. Thank you for your kind assistance. I will contact you again re black ink if I cannot rectify problem when I follow your instructions (when I can get a printed copy to follow properly). Appreciate your help. Bye for now. Maureen