lorir
lorir, Consultant
Experience:  24 years experience as a Systems Manager, MIS Manager, Project Manager and Data Architect.
27821169

how do i fix error code UO51 in a canon printer MX700

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  lorir replied 3 years ago.

lorir :

Hi, I'm Lori and I'll be helping you today. I'm sorry to hear you're having a problem. Please bookmark this page so you can get back to it easily.

U051 means an error occurred with the printhead. (The printhead is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page). Please follow the steps below to remove the ink thanks, and THEN remove the PRINTHEAD, then re-insert it.

Remove the Ink Tanks

1. Confirm that the printer is powered on.

2. Pull open the paper output tray.

3. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) with both hands and set the scanning unit support. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)

Full Size Image
    View Full Image

Note: When the scanning unit (printer cover) is opened more than ten minutes, the print head moves to the right side. If this occurs, close the scanning unit (printer cover), and open it again.

4. Remove the ink tanks by pressing the tab of each tank.

Caution: Handle the ink tanks with care so that your clothes and surrounding area do not get soiled. Make sure to remove the ink tanks one by one.

Full Size Image
    View Full Image

The above illustration depicts ink tanks being removed from an MX850.

Click to return to the top.

Reseating the Print Head

1. Raise the print head lock lever then lower it again to reseat the print head. If removing the print head to replace with a new print head, proceed to step 2.

2. Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.

Full Size Image
    View Full Image

The above illustration depicts a print head being removed from an MX850.

Caution: Do not touch the print head nozzles <1> , electrical contacts <2>, or ink supply ports <3>. Doing so may cause printing problems.

Full Size Image
    View Full Image

Follow the instructions below for Installing the Print Head and Re-Installing the Ink Tanks.

Installing the Print Head

1. Raise the print head lock lever.

Full Size Image
    View Full Image

2. Pull out the print head from its package, then remove the orange protective cap from it.

Full Size Image
    View Full Image

CAUTION: Do not touch the print head nozzles <1> , electrical contacts <2>, or ink supply ports <3>. Doing so may cause printing problems.

Full Size Image
    View Full Image

3. Place the print head in the print head holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.

Full Size Image
    View Full Image

The above illustration depicts a print head being installed in an MX850.

Re-Installing the Ink Tanks

1. Insert ink tanks into the print head.

NOTE: Press the mark <PUSH> on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.

Full Size Image
    View Full Image

The above illustration depicts ink tanks being installed in an MX850.

2. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

Full Size Image
    View Full Image

<1> The ink tanks are installed properly.

<2> The ink tanks are not installed properly.

3. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) slightly to set the scanning unit support back to its original position, and then gently close the scanning unit (printer cover).

Full Size Image
    View Full Image

Source:canon.com

Customer :

good morning

lorir :

Good morning!

Customer :

do you know what the cause of error UO51 print head is not installed, install print head yet the cartridges are in the print head

lorir :

It's possible the print head isn't seated correctly. Would you go through these steps and let me know if that solves your problem?

Customer :

how do i get to move or remove the print head

Customer :

it just slides along a rail

lorir :

Have you tried following the steps I posted above?

Customer :

yes i have

Customer :

the all red lights on the cartridges are flashing

lorir :

How far were you able to get? Could you lift the scanning unit (#3) and remove the ink tanks (#4)?

Customer :

i have now got the print head out

Customer :

do i need to replace the print head

Customer :

i taken it out ant then reinstalled it and no change

lorir :

Yes, follow the steps to re-install the print head and the ink tanks

lorir :

You also reinstalled the ink tanks?

Customer :

yes i did reinstall the tanks too

lorir :

Ok, try disconnecting the power and reconnecting.

Customer :

and i reconnected the power too

lorir :

Ok, I am sorry, I would have expected that to reset the error message. However, I will opt out and let another expert step in now. They will be able to see everything we have tried here, so you won't have to explain what you've already done.

Customer :

yes