Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices
14124282

Canon pixma MP830 After doing a print head deep cleaning

Canon pixma MP830

After doing a print head deep cleaning I got an error message that the "print head is not correct for this printer." The user's guide said to try reinstalling the print head. I was able to raise the locking lever but the print head was stuck and would not come out. I lowered the lever but the error message remained. I then turned the power off and now the printer will not turn on again.

Please let me know what to do next. Thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert Preston replied 3 years ago.

Robert Preston :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your problem today.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water to thoroughly clean the print head and each ink cartridge.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks and please click the green ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Thanks,
Rob

Customer:

step one won't work without power. printer won't power up; I've checked power cord, fuses, etc. and they are ok.

Robert Preston :

Ok then

Robert Preston :

If there is no evidence of power on the printer then the most likely cause is that the power board inside of the printer has failed.

First I would try to unplug the printer for an hour or so and switch it to a different power outlet and see if it will come on. If it still will not then to resolve it, you would have to have the power board replaced to restore functionality.

Thanks and please click the green ACCEPT button after reviewing my answer.

Thanks,
Rob

Customer:

Looks like you are right about the power board. I now remember thinking I smelled something burning when I was in there, but wrote if off as imagination. Between the print head and the power board and being about six years old it looks like its time for a replacement.

Robert Preston :

Doh! Yes that sounds similar to what I've seen when this happens in similar models.

Customer:

Can you recommend a current all-in one that uses the same canon inks as this one?

Robert Preston :

Unfortunately all of the new Canon printers use a different set of inks.

Robert Preston :

All of the ones that used those are out of production.

Customer:

Pooh! Can you recommend a current model of any brand with similar functions that I can buy today at Office Depot or Best Buy?

Robert Preston :

Sure

Robert Preston :

One minute

Robert Preston :

This would probably be the closest, and one of the best models on the market right now: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PIXMA+MG5220+Wireless+All-In-One+Printer/1200906.p?id=1218232259546&skuId=1200906

Customer:

Looks good. Thanks for your help and advice. Going to the store now.

Robert Preston :

No problem. :)

Robert Preston, Technician
Experience: 5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices