Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience

HP 4200 has an error code of 49.4C02 service error. I can

HP 4200 has an error code of 49.4C02 service error. I can Turn off and back on , after rebooting it prints the last job. Help XXX-XXX-XXXX Charlotte
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
What is the exact model of the printer? For example HP Laserjet 4210, or HP Officejet 4350?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HP LaserJet 4300tn
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
A 49 error can usually be cleared from the control panel with a power-cycle. A power cycle will only clear the error from the control panel and will not ensure that the error does not return. If the device immediately returns to an error state after the power-cycle has been performed then troubleshooting should start here.

Validating the Firmware
If the printer/MFP returns to READY , then select a printer/MFP that displays the error and update with the latest firmware. An update could disable some third party solutions.
If an update cannot be performed because the new firmware revision has not been qualified by the customer or there is a concern regarding a third party solution, troubleshoot the issue without upgrading the firmware. Use this document to identify the action responsible for the error. (It may be determined, during the troubleshooting process, that an update may be unavoidable if the issue is to be resolved).
  1. Updating the Firmware
    • Updating the printer/MFP firmware to the latest version should be performed as part of the normal troubleshooting process.
    • Print a configuration page and check the firmware version.
    • Compare the version’s date code to what is available for the product from the product support page. Go to the Hewlett-Packard home page at http://www.hp.com/ and search for drivers and downloads.
    • Update if there is a newer version available.
  2. Updating EIO/Embedded JetDirect
    In addition to upgrading the printer/MFP firmware it is also recommended that the JetDirect EIO card or Embedded JetDirect firmware be updated.
    Contact a regional HP customer support center for more information on how to validate whether the firmware is the latest and how and where to obtain firmware and update steps if an update is necessary.
    Once the device(s) have been updated, the device(s) should be monitored by for at least one week to determine if the error is no longer appearing.
    If the error is eliminated by the upgrade and some details are known about what was causing the error then the issue should be communicated to a local HP support center for documenting.
Gathering the Information
Use as many resources, such as end users, key operators and administrators of the product, to isolate the cause of the error. Learn as much as possible about the symptoms, environment, and actions being taken with the device when the errors are encountered.
Refer to the following questions as a guide to gather additional information:
  • Can anyone recreate the error?
    If the answer is Yes Then perform the following steps:
    1. Document the steps used to recreate the error.
    2. Gather the applicable information contained in “Table #1�?.
    3. After the information has been gathered, try to provide an alternative way to perform the task which is responsible for the error.
    4. Use the section below labeled “Software, Sending, Faxing and Environmental (Network)�? to help identify workarounds/alternative methods.
    5. These alternative methods can be used as a workaround or solution.
    6. If no workarounds are available or they cannot be used efficiently as a solution then contact your regions HP Customer Care center for additional help with resolving the error. Please provide the information that you have gathered.
      If the answer is No , then use the following questions as a question template to help isolate the possible cause of the error.
    7. Was someone printing a print job when the error was encountered? If so, do we know who and do we know what they were printing? Is the file or job available for testing?
    8. Was an incomplete print job found at the device when the error was discovered? If so, do we know who was printing it and do they have the job/file available for testing?
    9. Was someone sending or receiving a fax and/or configuring the device for any fax functions on the control panel? If so, what else is known about the fax transmission or the functions being configured?
    10. Was someone sending an e-mail or using Send to Folder, Send to FTP, or Send to Workflow options? Were they configuring the device to perform any of these actions at the control panel? If so, what else is known about the functions being used or the configurations being performed?
    11. Was someone performing a copy job or configuring the device for a copy job? If so, do we know what type of copy job they were performing or the configurations being selected?
    12. Was someone clearing a jam or attaching or removing anything from the device? If so, how was this being done?
    13. Was someone configuring anything with the touch screen control or menu selections found on the device? If so, what were they configuring and what menus here they using?
    14. Was someone using Web JetAdmin or the devices Embedded Web server to configure or perform a function? If so, do we know what feature or setting they were configuring or action they were performing?
    15. Was anyone using the direct PDF print feature? If so, is the file available for testing?
    16. What time of the day are the errors seen on the device? Who was in the office? How often have they found the device in the error state? Is it always displaying the same error?
If the answer to any of the above questions is, Yes or We think so but the error still cannot be recreated, then follow the tasks below: If the answers are No to all move to the next section.
  • Troubleshooting should be focused in the suspect areas.
  • The users that perform those actions should be asked to document any additional occurrences of the error.
  • Document all tasks being performed and what the device was doing or it’s state when the error occurred.
  • Monitoring should continue until someone is able to recreate the error or has a very good idea of what is taking place at the device when the error occurs.
  • If after some time progress is not made then move onto the next section.
If the answers are No or I don’t know :
  • Extensive monitoring of the device will need to be done by the users, administrators; key operators and/or service personnel until some correlation between certain actions and when the error occurs can be identified.
  • Gather the information identified by “Table #1�? and a stack trace to help with troubleshooting.
  • Provide this information to the regions HP customer support center to help them assist with this issue.
  • At this point there are three ways to continue troubleshooting.
    1. Eliminate the use of a particular feature(s) from the device(s). This will help to identify if a specific feature or its configurations may be causing the issue. (Removing Functions/Features section) (Use this method first if a specific feature is suspected or there are no other devices to match settings with).
    2. Compare the configurations and use models of one device that fails with others that do not. Once this has been done, the next step would be to try to match the use model and configurations of the failing unit with those of a non-failing unit to eliminate the error by matching the configurations and workflows of the non-failing unit(s). This may in turn help to identify what setting or action is responsible for the error by eliminating an action or configuration. (Identifying and comparing differences section).
    3. Swap a device with another of the same model which is working correctly and not encountering errors. Doing this will help identify if it is the device itself, and/or its’ settings, or if it caused by the network and or items being sent from or to the device. (Swapping a customer’s non-failing device with the failing device).
Which method should be used?
It is up to you or your administrator to determine which process to use and what is most feasible at the location where the device(s) are encountering the error.
  • Removing Functions/Features section : If a specific feature may be causing the error to appear or there is only one device of this type in the office, then eliminate the use of the suspected feature or remove features, one at a time, for short periods.
  • Identifying and comparing differences : If multiple devices are being used in the office in a similar fashion then identify the differences between the failing and non-failing devices. Change the configurations and use models of the failing models to match the non-failing models.
  • Swapping a non-failing device with the failing device : If there are multiple devices of the same model on the same floor, swap the failing device from one location with a non failing device. This method will require more labor to move the devices and a network admin will be required to reconfigure both the IP addresses and the features being used such as Send or Fax. This is a very good method to eliminate the network and user group from the equation without having to know all the settings that are configured on the failing device.
Remove Functions/Features
  1. Use this method first if a specific feature is suspected or if there are no other devices to match settings with. The items found in Table #1 should be gathered based on what features and functions that the possible causes have been narrowed down to.
  2. If there is a specific feature or action that is thought to be responsible, you can refer to the examples below to get an idea of where to start. If a specific feature has not been identified then start with the most commonly used feature on the failing device first. If it appears that the most common feature is not responsible for the error, eliminate the next most commonly used feature. Continue to remove features and functions one at a time for short periods of time. Monitor the device after each feature/function is removed to determine if the errors disappear after the function/feature is removed.
    • If printing is suspected, remove the device from the network and use only as a copier for one week. If this is not possible, eliminate all but the power-users from printing, keeping keep track of what, when, and how they are printing. If possible, also eliminate certain applications and track what was eliminated. Did the errors go away or where we able to identify something someone was printing as the cause?
    • If any sending method is used or suspected, eliminate, change or limit the methods used for one week. Did the errors go away? If so, what has changed and what are we not doing now?
    • If faxing is used or suspected, eliminate, change, or limit the methods used for faxing for one week. Did the errors go away? If so, what has changed and what are we not doing now?
    • If copying is used or suspected, eliminate or limit to basic copy functions for one week. Did the errors go away? If so, what has changed and what are we not doing now?
Once the suspected actions or configurations have been eliminated, changed, and/or monitored for at least one week, validate whether the errors have actually been eliminated. This can be done by reviewing the event log and talking to the users of the device. Move to the “If the errors persisted:�? or the “If the errors have disappeared:�? section, based on the results.
Identify and compare differences
NOTE: The “identifying differences�? section is used to help narrow down possible causes by comparing error-free devices with non-error-free devices. This method can be used if either a specific product feature is suspected or nothing has been identified.
  1. If possible, it is best to identify two devices (try to limit to two) in the same location where one encounters the error and the other does not.
  2. Compare internal pages, product features being used, Fax and Send methods, operating systems, network connections, applications being used, printer drivers, network monitoring software, and how physical actions are being performed on the devices (Information gathered from Table #1).
  3. Look for differences between the non-failing and failing devices and document any differences.
  4. When differences are found, changes should be made to the configurations and/or network systems and applications being used with the failing device where possible. It is important not to make too many changes at one time but to focus on the areas that control the actions thought to be responsible for the error.
  5. If no areas have been identified, start with the action most frequently used on the device.
  6. Change configurations and system settings where possible so that they are identical or very similar to those on the device/s that are not failing. Once again, keep track of these settings.
  7. Continue isolating by narrowing down the possible causes with a methodical process of matching configurations.
  8. Continue monitoring for at least a week or until the timeframe agreed upon by all parties.
  9. Move to the “If the errors still persist�? or the “If the errors have disappeared�? depending on the results after reaching the end of the agreed upon timeframe.
Swap a non-failing device with the failing device
  1. First, an identical model to the failing model must be located. They should have similar configurations including paper handling accessories and fax-and-send features, if applicable.
  2. The units will first need to be moved. The failing unit should be moved to the physical location of the non failing unit and the non-failing unit needs to be moved to the location of the failing unit.
  3. The Jet Direct Cards (if applicable) should remain in the device and moved with the device.
  4. Once the devices are in their new locations, the administrator will need to reconfigure the Jet Direct cards or Embedded Jet Direct so that the IP addresses match the address of the unit that was previously there.
  5. In addition, if fax-and-send are being used the configurations should be set to match those of the device that was previously there.
  6. Once all this has been completed, the users should be allowed to use the devices as normal and tracking of the errors should begin.
  7. If errors are encountered only with the originally failing unit then there is a specific configuration, firmware revision, or firmware/hardware component responsible for the error. It is most likely not network or print job related.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son fixed the printer not your answer. It's printing OK now.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
So what exactly did he do? Because it seems very strange that after I give you my answer it gets fixed especially since something in my answer would have had to be done. Most likely the very first paragraph which states to power cycle the machine. I al;so hope you know if you do not accept I get paid absolutely nothing and would have just worked for free. I'm sure you would not want to work for free either.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He took out the Printer cartridge and restarted the machine. He also cancelled all the printing documents in the que before doing that.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
This machine uses toner cartridges not regular ink cartridges and that was indeed in my answer, the print que would have absolutely nothing to do with this problem. As I mentioned if you do not accept I get paid absolutely nothing and would have just worked for free. I'm sure you would not want to work for free either even if you are going to force me too.

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click Accept”.

(Even if you are a subscription or trial member you must click "Accept" for me to be paid.)

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back is appreciated.

Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of IT and customer support experience