Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Brother MFC-9120CN which is connected to our office

I have a Brother MFC-9120CN which is connected to our office network via a LAN cable. There are 3 terminals (laptops) connected to the network. The 3 terminals can all print to the MFC, but only 1 terminal can receive scans. Can you please assist to set this up correctly, so that the other terminals can also receive scans directly from the MFC? Thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Please describe for me in more detail, what Windows (or MAC OS X) type(s) is/are installed on the three laptops - the one that can scan at present, and the ones that can't - and also let me know whether Brother Control Center is installed on the two that can't:

- in Windows,
Start - [All] Programs - Brother - Brother MFC9120CN [or something similar]
in the menuing system, ought to lead to Brother Control Center.

You can also check in the Installed Programs list, on the two that don't scan, by going to

Start - Control Panel - Programs and Features (or Add or Remove Programs - depending upon your exact Windows version)

and looking in the installed programs list, which is arranged alphabetically - so if 'Brother Control Center' is not among the Bs, then it isn't installed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Russel,

I did all the above, and I found that I can scan from the MFC to my laptop when I give the instruction from the Control Center on the laptop in question, but for some reason I canNOT scan TO that same laptop from the MFC?? It gives me an error message that says "Failed to connect to the device... etc"

Some would just say, if it doesn't work from the MFC but does work from the laptop using Brother Control Center, then do it from B.C.C.

But before giving you further advice, I would like to ask whether B.C.C. is on the two computers that you said initially couldn't scan from the MFC... and if so, whether it gets both of them working OK to that extent.

Configuring the printer to scan to a given computer (not necessarily all three at once, mind) may yet be feasible ... but please look into this aspect first.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, BCC is available on all 3 computers, and scanning from BCC to each computer works fine. At the moment, I can scan from the MFC directly to 2 out of the 3 computers (don't ask me why the 2nd computer now also works.. I have no idea. It just started working again after I did a test scan from that computer's BCC).

What happens when I scan directly from the MFC is:

I select SCAN - SCAN TO PC - FILE - and then I have 3 options to scan to: XXXXX XXXXX each computer. 2 out of these 3 options currently work fine. The 3rd option does not want to work. That's the computer that gets the error message "Failed to connect to the device".

That's the point that needs curing then. I completely understand all the points you've mentioned so far, and had a "notion" that it would narrow down to this sort of thing.

The 3rd PC (that one that cannot SCAN TO PC) is the one we need to concentrate on:

- does it connect via wireless and the other two by wired connection? or the other way around, one by wire and two by wireless?

- what security software or Firewall is *enabled* and present on the 3rd PC? if present but not enabled, what security software?

...Asking with this in mind: does the SCAN TO PC work when you disable the security software (temporarily, as a test) on the 3rd PC? a question that hopes to be the Answer to your original question.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable