James, Sr. Printers/Copiers Expert
Experience:  20 years experience with IT, networks and office equipment.
24111805

I have a Canon MP240 printer that keeps diplaying a paper jam

I have a Canon MP240 printer that keeps diplaying a paper jam error even thought i have checked all visible areas for jammed paper and reset the printer. The printer also will not feed the next sheet of paper even though I hear the mechanisim trying to do so. Any ideas?
Category: Printers
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Either there is something stuck on or between your rollers, or they are dirty or worn. See if you can find an obstruction that would cause the paper to jam. Use a flashlight to shine into the paper feed path. Use a link-free cloth dipped in a bit of alcohol and clean the rollers. Turn them with your hand to make sure you get the entire area. If the rollers are worn, you will need to service the printer to replace them.

If you can't find the obstruction, disconnect the printer from all cables, remove the paper and any removeable parts. Take the printer in your hands, and turn it upside down. Give it a few good shakes, then reconnect it and see if the paper goes through.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried what you said but to no avail. I can clear the paper jam error on the printer by reseting it but when i try to print something the paper will not feed and i get the paper jam error again. I cannot see the paper path area between the feed rollers and the exit rollers to see if there is any paper jammed. Anything else i can try?
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
If the paper won't feed, it is almost certain that you have something (probably a little piece of paper) stuck between the rollers.
You may need to take the printer apart to remove it, however I wouldn't recommend doing it if you've never done it before. Take it to a local Staples or Best Buy - they can usually clear those jams quickly.

Thanks,

J.