Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor, Sr. Printer Technician
Experience:  10,000+ hrs direct troubleshoot, repair and rebuilding hp, Lexmark/Dell inkjet and laser printers

I have an AcuLaser Epson C8600; I have been having image ghosting

Customer Question

I have an AcuLaser Epson C8600; I have been having image ghosting (repeat) problems which I put down to the photoconductor unit nearing its life end (having done about 8250 copies total). So, I have just installed a new original Epson unit at great cost, and the problem is the same.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Printer Doctor replied 2 years ago.

Printer Doctor :

Hi there. The Printer Doctor is in and ready to help you!

Printer Doctor :

Ghosting is a condition where the image prints properly, but a much lighter copy of the image also prints elsewhere.

This can be due to a problem with the power outlet that is supplying power to the printer. If you are using a power strip, remove it and plug the printer directly into the wall outlet, and also you can try a different outlet to see if the same results occur.

Ghosting can also be caused when consumable printer parts (such as the drum or imaging kit) are near the end of their life. All of the consumable parts in a printer are rated for a certain number of pages. Once a printer gets near that number, you'll need to replace those parts to eliminate ghosting.

Printer Doctor :

Since you have already replaced the photoconductor unit, have you removed any power strips and plugged the power cable directly into the wall socket?

Printer Doctor :

If none of the above clears the problem, I suspect that the transfer belt would be the problem, which also wears over time.

Customer :

The transfer belt should do at least 30,000 copies, and has done just over 8,000. So I am lost as to what to do.

Customer :

p.s. I tried changing the power outlet (as I wasn't using a power strip) but that didn't help either.

Printer Doctor :

99% of the time the ghosting problem is from the photoconductor, which you say you've replaced, correct? Either the one you purchased is also faulty, or maybe you should just remove it and reinstall it. Otherwise, the problem has to be the transfer belt, which sometimes go bad prematurely, or something deeper in the circuit between the photoconductor and the circiut board, e.g. incorrect bias, etc. That would take an onsite tech to determine.

Printer Doctor :

I have no further diagnosis beyond this. I can opt-out and release your question to another expert that may be able to get you further. Would you like me to do that?

Printer Doctor :

If I get no reply from you within the next 30 minutes, I will execute the opt-out so that another tech can get to you right away.

Customer :

THanks, but don't bother at present. I've had to do the current job below standard.

Printer Doctor :

Okay. As you wish. Sorry we could not work it out remotely. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.