Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

Canon Pixma MP530 Error 5C10 Copy button flashing Alarm button

Customer Question

Canon Pixma MP530 Error 5C10
Copy button flashing
Alarm button flashing
LCD says "check printer" and in right hand corner say 6A00
No ink lamps on.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

The 6A00 is a Canon generic code for paper path jam. Some where in the paper path a sensor is activated indicating paper jam so the printer will give off a 6A00 code.Almost 90% of the time, is related to the purge unit being jammed with something and not being able to move. Moving the print head assembly will not clear a purge unit if its jammed with paper, paper clips, push pins, screws, cookie crisp, flower bud pods or the like.The offending item needs to be removed or the purge unit needs replacement. If the printer is still be under Canon warranty, get it into a shop and save yourself the hassle.
Incidentally, the 6A00 error pertains to all Canon printers made in the last several years, its not just used in one model. And its always a paper path error or purge unit.
The purge unit is where the print head assembly parks when not in use, also its other job is to clean and make sure the print head is clean and open for printing. That is why you'll find the print head assembly parked on top of it. It also has a an electrical pump to milk the print heads and test for ink flow.

This is basically a hardware error related to Purge Unit/Waste ink absorber (WIA). If printer is in warranty get it replaced by Canon. If not please try to follow the steps below and check, if you can resolve the problem in home.

1. Open the printer cover and when the carriage head moves to center pull out the power cord.
2. The WIA unit is on the right side. Use a flashlight to check, then you will see two ink pads (sponge). This is where the print-head is homed/parked and is the top of the WIA unit.
3. There you will find wiper blades that move from the rear to the front. They wipe the bottom of the print-head when it is homed.
(The ink pads actually drop down about three quarters inch, to allow the wiper blade to pass and then it is supposed to spring back to the rear. Also the ink suction for cleaning the print-head is done by the WIA unit.)
4. Use some rubber gloves and a paper towel and see if you can press the ink pads down just a little bit - about quarter inch. See if for some reason the wiper blade is stuck extended. If so, see if you can get it unstuck. Please do this gently so that you don't break anything there.

This error indicates that the WIA unit is not giving the correct timing signal as it rotates inside 360 degrees. Therefore, something is either broken or jammed inside. If you had a paper jam and tried to forcefully pull it out, you could have pulled the internal gears out of alignment or sometimes due to timing problem the print head and the wiping blades can clash with each other.

So you will need to do some maneuvers to try to release the cartridge from its parking position. Again, don't try hard.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm trying your solution.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have pressed on the ink pads and used a paper towel to wipe around the around pressing softly. I'm not sure what you were saying about maneuvers to release the cartrige from its parking position. Not sure what to try next....still no ink lamps on.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
Does the cartridges move, when you power on the printer or the cartridges are stuck?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I power on, the cartridges do move but not all the way to the center. I thought that they used to move to the center so I could access each inkwell.....but not now.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
That means the problem is related the carriage mechanism of the printer. Actually the printer generate the error codes from the sensor. The error code you are receiving is because the carriage/cartridges cannot move freely. As you said that the cartridges can move but not to the center, that means either the carriage motor or the belt is not working properly, if the cartridges are jammed due to the purge unit, then it will not move from its place, when you power on the printer. One more thing you can try before repairing the printer. Open the scanner unit, you will see a clear plastic strip like the image below, clean that with a lint free and soft cloth and check the issue. If the problem persist, then repair the printer because the problem is related to the carriage mechanism and it cannot be repaired in home.I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

http://teknobizz.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/ip2770-k.jpg
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience: Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Somehow it is working now. You are a miracle worker.

Thanks so much!

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
That's Great!! and thanks for using JA.