Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices
14124282

Error message U051 on my Canon MX310 even with new cartrid

Error message U051 on my Canon MX310 even with new cartridges???
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert Preston replied 3 years ago.

Robert Preston :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your problem today.

Error U051 on Canon printers is a print head error. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water to thoroughly clean the print head and each ink cartridge.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks and please click the green ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Thanks,
Rob

Robert Preston :

So make sure to clean it thoroughly

Robert Preston :

In your case it sounds like if a thorough printhead cleaning doesn't solve it, you will need to replace the printhead next.

Customer:

No help. Read my question. NEW cartridges tried. Reset held for 10 seconds tried. Cartridges contain print heads.

Robert Preston :

I gave you the full answer and all possible solutions.

Robert Preston :

You didn't try the cleaning I posted above...

Robert Preston :

So I guess you would rather argue than fix your problem. Have a nice day.

Customer:

No, I do not wish to argue. The new cartridge contains a new print head. Nothing to clean. I was hoping there is some sort of button keying sequence to reset the printer that you could help me with. I've wasted your and my time. I'll not continue based on your lack of knowledge and rather sharp answer. . .and thanks for trying.

Robert Preston :

No, I gave you the correct answer. U051 is a printhead error... so sorry.

Robert Preston :

"UO51 Print head is not installed. Install the print head."

Robert Preston :

So if it's not the printhead that's the problem and a reset didn't fix it then you have a problem with the printer itself that requires service.

Customer:

Your last answer should have been your first when I indicated that the cartridge (with printhead) was new. . .Whatever, you tried and I'll pay.

Robert Preston, Technician
Experience: 5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices