Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices

My Canon MP610 shows error message UO43. There was no problem

Customer Question

My Canon MP610 shows error message UO43. There was no problem until I changed the large ink tank, At first I thought the supplier had given me the wrong one but 3 tanks later, including the re-filled original, it still wont recognise although the light is on when one puts it in though goes out after printing prelims.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 2 years ago.

Sandeep Pamarati :

hello Sir/maam,

Sandeep Pamarati :

happy to help you

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please checkout the below steps....

Sandeep Pamarati :

Replacing An Ink Tank

Use the following procedure to replace empty ink tanks or when an ink tank error appears.

1. Confirm that the printer is powered on.

2. Pull open the paper output tray.

3. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)

Note: When the scanning unit (printer cover) is opened more than ten minutes, the print head moves to the right side. If this occurs, close the scanning unit (printer cover), and open it again.

4. Open the inner cover.

5. Press the ink tank's tab (1), then remove it from the slot (2).

6. Unpack the ink tank and pull the orange tape off completely in the direction of the arrow and remove the film.

Note: Tear the orange tape carefully along the dotted line. If the orange tape remains, printing problems may occur.

<4> Tape is completely removed.

<5> Tape remains. Remove the orange protective cap located on the bottom of the ink tank by twisting as shown in the diagram.

CAUTION: Do not touch the ink tank contact <6>. Doing so may cause printing problems. Do not squeeze the side of ink tanks as this may cause the ink to leak out. Do not reattach the protective cap once you have removed it.
7. Insert ink tanks into the print head.

Note: Press the mark <PUSH> on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.

8. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

<7> The ink tanks are installed properly.

<8> The ink tanks are not installed properly.

Note: Click for Ink Tank Lamp indications.
9. Close the inner cover and the scanning unit (printer cover).

CAUTION: When closing the scanning unit (printer cover), be careful not to jam fingers.

Note: The next printing begins, the print head cleaning will begin automatically.
Ink Tank Lamp indications
You can check the status of each ink tank according to the way its lamp flashes.
• On: The printer is ready to print.
• Slow flashing (at about three second interval): Ink is low. Prepare a new ink tank.
• Fast flashing (at about one second interval): Ink tank is empty, or the printer is not ready due to an error.
• Off: An error has occurred and the printer is not ready to print.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Image:

Sandeep Pamarati :

Full Size Image

Sandeep Pamarati :

---------------------------------

Customer:

That does not answer my question..............I have replaced ink tanks before with no problem. Is there a way to re program the printer so that it recognises a correct canon ink cartridge instead of rejecting it?

Sandeep Pamarati :

okay

Customer:

?

Sandeep Pamarati :

One sec please

Sandeep Pamarati :

Ink Tank Seated Properly

Refer to the following steps to verify the ink tanks are seated correctly:

1. Open the paper output tray.

2. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)

3. Open the inner cover.

CAUTION:

a. Do not try to manually move or stop the Print Head Holder.

b. Do not touch any metal parts.

4. Press down on the ink tank until a click is heard, thereby making sure the ink tank is seated properly.

Note: Make sure that the ink tank is inserted in the slot that corresponds to the ink tank's color.

5. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

Note:

Ink Tank Lamp

o - On: The printer is ready to print.

o - Slow flashing (at about three second interval): Ink is low. Prepare a new ink tank.

o - Fast flashing (at about one second interval): Ink tank is empty, or the printer is not ready due to an error.

o - Off: An error has occurred and the printer is not ready to print.

6. Close the inner cover and the scanning unit (printer cover).

Note:

a. When closing the scanning unit (printer cover), be careful not to jam your finger.

b. When starting printing next time, the print head cleaning launches automatically.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please checkout the above steps..

Sandeep Pamarati :

Let me know if you have any questions...

Sandeep Pamarati :

Thanks for your time....

Customer:

Absolutely useless, I have all the information given already in the hand book!

Sandeep Pamarati :

is the cartridge is branded one or not

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please clean the print head

Customer:

The cartridge is canon, print head is cleaned automatically

Expert:  Robert Preston replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your problem today.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water to thoroughly clean the print head and each ink cartridge.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks and please click the green ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Thanks,
Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cleaned the head, no change.

The red light in the cartrige lights up(brighter than the others) when put in but after process routine it is extinguished when I raise the cover again after receiving the 'ink tank not recognised' display.

I have tried 3 different brand new cartridges.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my concern is; the electronic contacts are in the carriage the print head fits in and presumably recognition of the chip is via the 'brain'. I cannot visually detect any problem with the print head which appears to flow ink and have good contact with connections at the back.
Well, you have an ink tank error. This is caused by a defective cartridge, a dirty cartridge or printhead or a defective printhead. That is the only possibilities...
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience: 5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices