Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer and Printer-related problems
383181

I have a canon mp990. Ever since i have used it to scan some

I have a canon mp990. Ever since i have used it to scan some documents it wont print. It says it has a communication problem. It is set up in a small office network (not wireless).
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 3 years ago.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Hello Sir/Maam,

Sandeep Pamarati :

happy to help you

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please follow the below steps..

Sandeep Pamarati :

Instructions to change the machine back to its default settings.

Press the <HOME> button.

Use the Easy-Scroll Wheel or the right / left arrow to select [Settings], then press the <OK> button.

Use the Easy-Scroll Wheel or the right / left arrow to select [Device settings], then press the <OK> button.

Use the Easy-Scroll Wheel or the up / down arrow to select [Reset settings], then press the <OK> button.

Use the Easy-Scroll wheel or the up / down arrow to select [Yes] on the confirmation screen and then press <OK>.

Press the <HOME> button to return to the HOME menu.

Note: Changes the settings back to the default (factory settings), except for the language for LCD messages, the current position of the print head, the Read / Write Attribute setting and the LAN settings*

*.You can change LAN settings from Reset LAN settings under LAN settings.

Sandeep Pamarati :

-----------------------------------------

Sandeep Pamarati :

and if still problem is there need to updated the drivers link is here ...

Sandeep Pamarati :

need to select the operating system from the drop downlist then download the drivers and then reinstall them afresh ....

Sandeep Pamarati :

Let me know if it helps

Sandeep Pamarati :

Thanks for your time....

Sandeep Pamarati :

Good Day to you

Sandeep Pamarati :

JS2348

Customer:

Problem still there

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please let me know did you updated the drivers.

Customer:

yes

Sandeep Pamarati :

you need to unisntall the previous drivers and then reinstall the latest one

Sandeep Pamarati :

if not please do ...

Sandeep Pamarati :

if you did --------

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please let me know the error code please

Customer:

most of the time it does not give an error code - i have seen error 96 once

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please confirm the error code ERROR: -9672 appears selecting printer in Printer Setup Utility (with AirPort installed)

Sandeep Pamarati :

let me know

Customer:

I need to go out for about 2 hours shortly

Customer:

I dont know how to get that specific error message

Sandeep Pamarati :

okay

Sandeep Pamarati :

Make sure that necessary ports and programs are not being blocked by security or firewall programs

Blocked Ports and Programs

In some cases, third-party security or firewall software may be blocking or restricting port traffic or programs causing unexpected results such as inability to install or loss of functionality. Check with the software manufacturer for information on unblocking ports or adding exceptions for specific programs.

The following are ports and programs necessary for your printer to function properly.

Ports

TCP 80

TCP / UDP 8611

TCP / UDP 8612

TCP / UDP 8613

UDP 3702 - (Windows 7 / Windows Vista)

The following port list applies only to models with memory card slots

TCP / UDP 137

TCP / UDP 138

TCP / UDP 139

Programs

IJ Network Tool

Default location

c:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\Canon IJ Network Tool\CNMNPUT.EXE (Windows)

/library/printers/canon/bjprinter/utilities/canon ij network tool.app (Macintosh OS X)

IJ Network Scan Utility

Default location

c:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\Canon IJ Network Scan Utilityl\CNMNSUT.EXE (Windows)

/library/printers/canon/bjprinter/utilities/canon ij network scan utility.app (Macintosh OS X)

IJ Network Scanner Selector

Default location

/library/printers/canon/ijscanner/utilities/canon ij network scanner selector2.app (Macintosh OS X)

MP Navigator EX

Default location

C:\Program Files\Canon\MP Navigator EX**\ mpnex**.exe (** refers to version number) - (Windows)

/application/canon utilities/mp navigator.app (Macintosh OS X)

Sandeep Pamarati :

----------------------------------------------------

Sandeep Pamarati :

2nd option

Sandeep Pamarati :

Connect the USB cable directly to a USB port on the computer

If you are connecting the device through a USB hub* or other USB device, disconnect it and try connecting directly to a USB port on the computer. If successful, the problem may have been with the device.

*Some scanners are powered by the USB connection. This is why connecting the scanner through another device, such as a USB hub, may prevent the scanner from communicating properly with the computer.

Connecting the cable to the your device.

Connecting the cable to your computer.

Sandeep Pamarati :

-----------------------------------

Sandeep Pamarati :

3rd option

Sandeep Pamarati :

Disconnect other device and reboot computer

A device attached to the computer is blocking communication
Other devices attached to the computer can block proper communication.

Check to see if there are any devices (other than USB keyboards or mice) connected to the computer.

Disconnect the device(s) and restart the computer.

Once the computer has restarted, attempt your process again.

Sandeep Pamarati :

--------------------------------------------

Sandeep Pamarati :

4th option.....

Sandeep Pamarati :

Move data source file from TWAIN Data Sources folder

Third Party Data Source File
If TWAIN scan applications quit unexpectedly when launching or display an error message then quit, move third party data source files from the TWAIN Data Source folder*.

Open Library, Image Capture, and TWAIN Data Sources, and select the data source file.

*If there is only the Canon Data Source (in the case of network-capable models, there will be 2 sources), then delete the file(s) following the steps below, then download and install the latest scanner driver from the Download Library at the Canon USA web site.

You can temporarily move the data source to another location such as the desktop or if the file is no longer in use move it to Trash.

To move the data source file, drag the file while holding down the command key ( ) to another folder or to the desktop.

To move the file to Trash, select 'Move To Trash' from File menu.

In the Finder menu, select 'Empty Trash' to delete it.

In the Apple menu, click 'Restart'.

Now, launch the scanning application to use the scanner.

Sandeep Pamarati :

please checkout the above steps....

Sandeep Pamarati :

let me know the situation please

Sandeep Pamarati :

i will wait for your reply

Customer:

This is getting pretty complicated. The printer worked fine for many months - then we scanned a couple of documents - scanning still works - just printing doesnt - i dont have the competence or confidence to do some of the stuff you are suggesting. Happy to make some payment for your time but i think i prefer to get someone to physically do this stuff for me - i have a person who helps but they have been on leave.

Sandeep Pamarati :

sir/maam,

Customer:

This is way too complicated for me - i have someone who can be here physically to assist - happy to pay for some of your time - but i will try something else now

Sandeep Pamarati :

please try to do the above steps...

Sandeep Pamarati :

it willl resolve your problem,.

Customer:

no - too complicated

Sandeep Pamarati :

but those are the apted steps... for this problem

Sandeep Pamarati :

if you have any questions let me know

Sandeep Pamarati :

I am glad to help you...

Customer:

i have offered to pay for some of your time - i have made my decision

Sandeep Pamarati :

if you satisfy on my efforts please accpet it....
Thanks for your time...

Sandeep Pamarati :

Good day to you ...

Sandeep Pamarati :

JS2348

Sandeep Pamarati :

Are you there please

Sandeep Pamarati :

if you satisfy on my efforts please accept it .... then i will get the payment...

Sandeep Pamarati :

Thanks for your time

Sandeep Pamarati :

any questions let me know i can help you

Sandeep Pamarati :

any updates

Sandeep Pamarati :

if you satisfy please accept it

Sandeep Pamarati :

then i will get the payment

Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer
Experience: Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer and Printer-related problems