Richard, Technician
Experience:  AAS Degree in Computer Technology.

I have a paper jam in a my Canon MF6500 series and I cant

Customer Question

I have a paper jam in a my Canon MF6500 series and I can't get it out. I don't know how to get access to the remaining paper pieces without resorting to a screwdriver. I can send pictures to describe where the problem is.

Help,

Tom
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I am Rick. I will be your expert.

Try this, it usually gets it working. Turn off the printer and unplug. Take a piece of heavy card stock and push it through the printer starting at the paper feed. Push it all the way until it comes out the other end. This should remove the rest of the torn paper. Plug in the printer and try it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rick,

Are we talking cardstock like a manila file folder or like the cardboard from a yellow legal pad?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Try the folder first, it may be stiff enough. If not go to the legal pad cardboard.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From where do I start to push the paper for the jam described in the attached photo?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The photo does not come through but it does not matter. If you start pushing the paper in from the feed location, the place where your paper normally goes in from and keep pushing it through it should follow the same path as the paper usually travels. Now you may have to do this more than once to get everything out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rick,

Your ears may have been burning and the air here is a little blue, but I finally forced the cardboard throught he jam and got the accordianed piece of paper out. Closed the machine and tried to copy. Process worked fine until the last 90 degree turn to the output tray when it jammed again. That is probably the cause of the original one. I've run the cardboard through that section as best as I can, but can't make it navigate that last tight turn. I tried running the card stock through a cycle, but it jammed also. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Are you using the legal pad or the folder.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried both. The legal pad is too stiff to make the last feeder bend, and the file folder is too soft to push through that thight of a bend from below. It just wrinkles.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I have a feeling this is going to get ugly. Any chance you can push it through starting from the other end.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've tried that with both the legal pad and the file folder, unfortunately, they both pass through without dislodging anything. They do not, however, make the right angle bend down past the toner drum so I'm not sure they are running into the artifact that is catching the paper. That or it is only shaped to catch in one direction. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
THe only other thing I can think of, other than having a repair guy take the darn thing apart to get it out, is to see if you can remove the toner drum and I think there is a removable door on the side that may allow you to see what the problem is. Just be careful that you do not take apart more than the things that are customer removable items, like opening any doors or removing the toner and drum. If none of these help, I think you may need to have a technician take it apart to get the paper out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried openning the door and removing the drum, in fact, that is the only way that I can acces the paper transport in that part of the machine. It appears that the paper jam is cleared. What I'm dealing with now is the original cause of the jam, I believe a nick or burr on one of the transport guides. I guess that I will have to take it to a repair shop.

Thanks for the attempt.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If there is any sort of rough spot there it will definitely cause a jam. Good luck to you. I hope I have been some help anyway.