Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

I have an 6A80 error on my mx870

I have an 6A80 error on my mx870
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 years ago.
When you see this error code indication, on this model of Canon printer, then you are advised to reset the machine, in this fashion:

Turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by suddenly and sharply unplugging it from the power source.
Also unplug it from the computer!
Leave it that way for 10 minutes.
Plug it back in.
Turn it on if it didn't turn itself on. Wait for it to initialize.
Try the printer and see if it works, if the error code does not show up any more at this point.

Also open the printer, look at where the carriage (which carries the ink cartridges to and pro during printing) is, and make sure that no foreign object (or 'packing material', if your printer is at all newly installed) is blocking the movement of the carriage to and fro (left and right). Also with the printer off, grasp the carriage, and move it gently to one side, then the other... does it resist this, or stick at any point? (with the power Off, mind.) Then something is making its movement stick, and it needs to be un-stuck, in short.

If none of the above does any good, then you may have to have the printer serviced.

To request an estimate on the cost of servicing this particular printer, go to

and fill out the Request Estimate form and submit it.

It may be that the repair cost is greater than the price of a new printer... if so, you may recycle your old printer through this page's facilities:
- click once on 'Printers & All-in-ones', then click on 'Office All-in-one Inkjet Printers', then (scroll down to the bottom of the list of printer models, and) click on 'PIXMA MX870 Wireless' - then enter your individual printer's serial #, and follow through with the online form to the end.

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)
- Favorable feedback is appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We have tried your suggestions but then error is persisting? We have had the printer for just over a year, it has worked really well until now.

Sometimes this is owing to the printhead needing to be replaced (or the plastic 'encoder strip' attached to it, I have been advised.) [And I have been advised this error is sometimes owing to ink drying and ... keeping the printhead from moving, or something like that.]

That may or may not be expensive (more so than a new printer, sometimes) or not easy for you to do.

If it's simply not easy for you to do, but you would like to try it, then ask me for further instructions. The alternative is to have a repair shop do the work for you.