Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

My printer wont print - keeps flashing the orange light -

Customer Question

My printer won't print - keeps flashing the orange light - i865 printer - have just replaced one of the ink tank - never had this problem before have tried everything - the computer recognises the printer but it just keeps flashing have powered on and off reloaded paper etc. nothing!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'd like to try to help you with your printer question.

The thing I want you to observe at this point is, how many times does the orange light flash? and does it ever flash green too? I suspect that it is a 'flash code', which Canon printers often use to signal some error condition, and the way to tell which code it is, is to observe how many times in a row the orange light flashes, before it pauses or turns green for a bit (and how many times it flashes green, before it goes back to flashing orange again.)

Please observe and reply back to me with this info, and I should be able to advise you on what problem you have and what to do about it. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it flashes orange 5 times then green once - it pauses at green then flashes orange another 5 times - this keeps happening -- I have had the printer off for about 30 minutes and now turned it on and its still flashing
OK, that is definitely an error code - thanks for counting those flashes.

5 orange, one green. This means (according to the somewhat semi-reliable information source which I get this from - Canon's own sources are barren of advice about this, unfortunately) that your printhead has a problem, or the contacts are loose or dirty.

Turn the printer off, remove the ink cartridges, then remove the printhead that's under and behind (usually) them - it may be held down by a lever, often blue in color, that you have to flip up to remove it (and flip down again after putting it back in, to lock it in place before putting the cartridges back in.)

Removing the printhead (a sort of three-sided box thing with no top, usually, and some copper-colored contacts on the back and ink pores on the underside - do not touch at any time, with your fingers, either the underside nor the contacts on the back [or wherever they are] ).
Taking a clean cotton swab moistened in rubbing alcohol (or other residue-free solvent, pref. alcohol based ... but in a pinch, warm water may do something if not everything for such cases) and swab off the contacts on the printhead.
Also - with a fresh swab - swab off the contacts in the printer, where the printheads contacts fit in.
(This with the printer Off, for safety.)

Then put the printhead back in, and lock it down with the lever. Then put back the ink cartridges, and close the printer, then turn it on.

At this point if the 5 orange 1 green flash code persists, try this reset code procedure:

With the printer turned Off, hold down the Resume and the Power buttons, both at once.

(Turn the printer on? the instructions I read don't mention this. But maybe this works with the power Off, who knows...)

Then release the Resume button but continue to hold down the Power button.

Press Resume button two times, then let both buttons go (release both Resume and Power at this point.)

Green lights on your printer should flash, then stop blinking and stay On. (If they don't, then try this again, only with the interpolated Turn Printer On While Holding Down both Buttons instruction included.)

When green lights are On, solidly, press the Resume button four times.

Press the Power button - which should turn off the printer. (If not, press the Power button again to turn it off.)

After that, when turned on again (after a decent pause, such as 30 seconds or more), your printer should be back to normal function.

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)
- Favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you I don't have the time to take it apart today but I did try the re-set as I found that information on the internet - I suspect there is a tank which may need emptying somewhere somehow! I will click on accept answer but won't try the complete fix - I guess the printer is some years old now and it has been used a lot! Just annoyed that I have just purchased new ink tanks!
Some new printers may take the same series of ink tanks. Tell me the numbers if you like, and I will look up the printers that you could buy to replace the old one, that would also accept the new ink tanks that you bought.

(Thanks for the Accept.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they are 3 e black

and the 6 in black, yellow, blue & pink... thanks for your help!

If that's the BCI-6 series, then this is the list of printers it is reported to be used in / compatible with (all made by Canon, of course):

BJC-8200.
- I Series:
i560/i860/i865/i900D/i9100/i950/i960/i9900
- Photo. S Series:
S800/S820/S8200/S820D/S830D/S900/S9000.
- Pixma Series:
Pixma iP3000/Pixma iP4000/Pixma iP5000/Pixma iP6000D/Pixma iP8500/Pixma MP760/Pixma MP780

(These model #s are separated by a forward slash character: / )