John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Cannon PIXMA MX700. I am getting error code 5200.

I have a Cannon PIXMA MX700. I am getting error code 5200. I moved the printer from one room to another and don't know if that caused the problem. I had no problems prior to moving it. Can it be fixed and if so, what do I need to do?

Thanks for your help.

Carol May
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Please remember to scroll down and click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Please follow the steps below:

1- Remove ALL the ink cartridges from the printer

2- Check that there is no residual tape on the cartridges.

3- Then clean the contacts (the hole where the ink comes out) on the cartridges as well as inside the printer itself

NOTE: Clean the contacts with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.

4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.

5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 60 seconds

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the issue persists. IF NO LUCK, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

7- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

8- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My original problem was that I was unable to access the ink cartridges as they either sat to the far right or far left in the printer. I got error code 5200 and no where could I find out what that was telling me. After getting your response I needed to access those ink cartridges so, just now I tried something I had not yet tried -- I left the "lid" up and powered down and then powered up again and that caused the ink cartridges to center themselves. I have two empty cartridges and I think that might be the problem as I am now getting error message U052 which says the "type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head". I know the print head is correct as it's the one that came with the printer. I don't think I can go any further until I replace the two empty ink cartridges and see if the problem is resolved.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK, when you open the top cover, the printhead should move itself to the center. If it doesn't move, then try to move it manually (do not push it too hard, please).

Does it work?

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No it does not work. I can get the printhead to the center by leaving the lid up and powering down then up again. But when I put the lid down I get the error code U052 which says the print head is incorrect.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Please remove the printhead and clean it, following the steps below:

Removing the Print Head

1. Raise the print head lock lever.

2. Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.

Then try inserting it again.

If no luck, then unfortunately the printhead is defective. (The printhead is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page) Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace than the machine itself.

You may prefer a new printer for a similar/better price than a repair. Amazon has very good prices usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info ---> http://tinyurl.com/PrintersAmazon

Please note I do NOT work for CANON so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That did not work either. At this point I do not want to go any further until I am able to replace the two empty cartridges. Like I said, my original problem was I could not get the print head to center it's self and was getting error code 5200. Your first direction was to remove the ink cartridges. But I could not remove them without getting the print head to center. I was able to accomplish centering the print head without your direction. Once that was achieved, I was able to see that I have two emply cartridges which I would have replaced before going any further. Therefore, quite honestly, I do not feel you have been able to resolve the problem. The printer still does not work and I won't be convinced the print head is "dead" until I put in the new cartridges. As I understand it, I am not expected to pay unless I am completely satisfied. Sorry to leave it like this, but that was the agreement.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
No problem at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I paid my "good faith" payment via pay pal. How do I reverse that?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK, are we going to wait to see if the printer works with the new ink cartridges or not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, but it will be several day before I am able to get to town to buy them. How do I contact you with the results?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
You can come to this link http://www.justanswer.com/printers-and-office/51t60-cannon-pixma-mx700-getting-error-code-5200.html and let me know. Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I'll be back to you with a week. Thanks.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
No problem, thank you very much
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, as you probably expected, the new cartridges were not the answer but I had to be sure. Fortunately the office supply store allowed me to return them. Looks like the Cannon printer has met his maker. So that you get this message, I will click on reply to expert. When I get your reply, I will accept your answer.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much, Sir/Madam. If I helped please click Accept. God Blessings and have a great weekend!
John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.