Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

HL 2240, New Toner cartridge, toner light stays on

Customer Question

I thought you would have answered by now?

My bank account has been charged?

I've received no help?

Please explain...
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Is your replacement cartridge genuine Brother-made, and not a remanufactured or recycled or refilled cartridge? (You will find odd problems - and problems not so odd like toner leakage - from off-brand or remanufactured supplies/ink.)

( You show as having made a deposit of $16 US for the value of this question. I would like to reassure you that it has not yet been finally collected, which is only done when you signify that you are satisfied with the Answer you have gotten. )

What is the status of the Toner light, is it steady-on, or is it flashing on and off?

What is the status of the other lights on the printer, similarly? (specifically the Ready and the Error LED lights.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Off brand, I've used many times with my older printer also a Brother.
toner light is steady - on all other lights are off
Thanks for the info on your problem's circumstances.

I suggest this

Quickly press the GO button on your printer, seven (7) times.
The LEDs should flash briefly twice and then the Ready light should flash briefly.

Once you have done that... is the Ready LED on or off at that point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The ready and toner light are on...
The toner light being on indicates the end of the toner cartridge's life has been reached.

The Ready light indicates that you can temporarily continue printing with the current toner cartridge.

I would recommend that you buy Brother - OEM - made cartridges after this, if you wish to avoid further problems with unrecognized new cartridges.

What Brother says about the mode you will be printing in at this point is the following:

" We cannot guarantee continual optimum print quality. In order to maintain consistent optimum print quality, we recommend you install a new, out of the box, genuine Brother TN420 or TN450 toner cartridge to clear the error and continue printing. Do NOT install a TN starter cartridge or previously used or installed toner cartridge from another machine. Our toner cartridges are manufactured with a reset lever that moves when installed into the machine. The movement of the lever is what notifies the machine a new cartridge has been installed and mechanically triggers the machine to reset the toner life end indicator. "

(Quoted from: http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000028991&Sympt=The+Toner+LED+is+on+steady.+What+can+I+do%3f&Model=1750&ProductGroup=1&Keyword=toner%20light&ProductID=HL2240 )

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.) And, favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Interesting. Theirs costs ~50$, Remanufactured costs $25. Between you and me I think it's all about the money.
Thanks for your help.
Jim
I have had a lot of experience with laser (and inkjet) printer problems, and for all major manufacturers of printers (HP, Canon, Brother, Epson, etc.) the rule has been (9 out of 10 times) that cheaper supplies means more problems.
(9 out of 10 times, means about 9 times more likelihood of problems with cheaper than with genuine OEM... OEM supplies do have problems sometimes, admittedly. Just distinctly less often.)
The choice is yours, of course. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, and good luck, whichever way you choose.