John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

New Brother MFC-290C will not print black. Replaced all cartridges

New Brother MFC-290C will not print black. Replaced all cartridges - no help. Test page is only color.

Thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Please remember to scroll down and click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Please follow the steps below:

1- Remove the black ink cartridges from the printer

2- Check that there is no residual tape on the cartridge.

3- Then clean the contacts (the hole where the ink comes out) on the cartridge as well as inside the printer itself

NOTE: Clean the contacts with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.

4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.

5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 60 seconds

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the issue persists. IF NO LUCK, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

7- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

8- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is just a generic answer. According to many forum comments this is a problem many Brother users have experienced. I have tried this solution and many others as suggested by other people - no help.

Sorry

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
No, that's not a generic answer. We first check if the black cartridge ink is dried, then we continue troubleshooting. This issue happens with all printers, not only Brother. Are you using genuine Brother cartridges or generic/refilled ones?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
These are brand new Brother brand cartridges - installed today. There is no tape on these like many ink cartridges have - that's why I said you gave a generic answer. The cartridges have a yellow twist-off plug that exposes ink the outlet. I changed all 4 and the color works fine on the test page - just no black. When I first received this machine it did the same thing so I sent it back to Brother. The 2nd printer worked fine for a while then the cartridges that came with it ran dry - probably had very little ink to start with. This is the 1st set I have purchased (from Staples) and installed.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thank you. Please follow the steps on link below in order to clean the printhead.

Click here -----> http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/000700/000035/faq000735_015.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc290c_all

Please do that 2 or 3 times. If still no luck, then unfortunately the printhead is defective. (The printhead is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page) Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace than the machine itself.

You may prefer a new printer for a similar/better price than a repair. Amazon has very good prices usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info ---> http://tinyurl.com/PrintersAmazon

Please note I do NOT work for BROTHER so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No help - think I'll trash this thing and stay away from Brother in the future - Thanks.