John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

My Canon iP1800 wont print reset the ink cartridge counter

My Canon iP1800 won't print reset the ink cartridge counter and therefore will not print. I only use Canon Ink so how do I reset?
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Have you already reset the counter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No one seems to know HOW to reset the counter on this machine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had to step away for a didn't answer yet, did you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I shall be off-line for a couple of hours and shall check back later. Good luck!!
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK. Please follow the steps below:
  1. Press Resume button and hold it hold for 1 minute

2. Open the cover

3. Release the catridges and then insert the catridges again

4. Close The Cover

5. Turn Off the printer

6. Turn On the printer again

If no luck yet, please follow the steps below:
  • Download software resetter or general tools for canon pixma iP1880 (it works for any 1800 series printer) : Download service tool for Canon iP1880 <=== CLICK HERE

• Install the file.

• Connect USB cable.

• Before connect power, press and hold power button then connect the power.

• At the same time Hold power button, and press reject button for 2 times then release power button.

• Run software resetter for canon iP1880.

• Don’t forget to open the lock release in the software.

• Then select Set Destination to iP1800

• Click MAIN and PLATEN

• Finally test print by click TEST PATTERN1.
Does it work now?

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, this isn't working either. There is an awful lot of internet chatter about this problem, some referencing the same info as you located. As of yet, no one I have located has found a fix that works for everyone. Maybe this batch is a special "lemon". If it is not worth your time and effort, I understand. Several of the posters stated that they were finished with Canon products. I may have to join that group myself.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
That's a "normal" issue on Canon printers. When the ink absorber is full it needs to be replaced, even if you reset the counter, then the absorber should be replaced to avoid leaking.

Replacing the ink absorber is a complicated and potentially messy procedure, then this should be done from a technician, that also includes the disassemble of the printer that requires special equipment from Canon.

You should call Canon directly at 1-800-OK-CANON and make an appointment to have the ink pads replaced. They should charge only $10.

Please note I do NOT work for CANON so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for confirming what I had already decided...Canon sucks:)
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
You may prefer a new printer for a similar/better price than a repair. Amazon has very good prices usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info --->

Thank you very much and let me know if you have any other concern or question, I am here to help.