John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My Brother MFC-495CW printer is not printing out the black

My Brother MFC-495CW printer is not printing out the black correctly. Everything was working fine until I had to replace the ink cartridges. I replaced all the cartridges and they all work except the black. It is only printing "streaks". Thinking it might have been the cartridge, I just bought and replaced another one and got the same result. I have run the cleaning process several times.

What can I do to resolve this?
Thanks,
Bill XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Unfortunately, if you are using good and genuine Brother cartridges and have used the cleaning process several times, but you still get the same issue, then the printhead is defective. (The printhead is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page) Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace than the machine itself.

You may prefer a new printer for a similar/better price than a repair. Amazon has very good prices usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info ---> http://tinyurl.com/PrintersAmazon

Please note I do NOT work for BROTHER so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John,

I am a bit conflicted here. I had resigned myself to the fact that if my printer issue could be solved for $23 and I did not have to waste a bunch of time troubleshooting the money would be worth it.

Although you may have provided a valid response, your answer to simply buy a new printer hardly seems like a worthy response. I always knew I could do this. The fact that my printer is fairly new and this was the first time I replaced cartridges makes me wonder if there might not be a simplier, less expensive answer.

Thanks,

Bill

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mr. Bill, thank you for your honest reply. But at least now you know the issue is with the printhead, and that is not worth it to repair it, unless your printer is still in warranty. In that case you can call Brother at 1-800-284-4329 and ask for a free replacement printer.

If you have already cleaned the printhead and are using genuine Brother cartridges but still get the issue, then the printhead is defective. If you take the printer to a computer shop, they will charge $50 to $80 just to tell you the same.

However, in JustAnswer.com the customer decides to or not to pay us, that's how we work.

Have a great week!

Thank you

John Cappucci
John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Brother will be sending me a re-furbished printer.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
That's great, thank you for letting me know!