jnayes
jnayes, Technician
Experience:  10+ years Network Administration, print servers/share
2888018

My Dell 1320c printer has an error light flashing.

Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

What other lights are on, off or flashing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The exclamation mark is flashing in orange.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you. You will receive an email when another expert takes your question. The new expert will see all our previous thread, so no need to explain the issue again.

Thank you
Expert:  jnayes replied 3 years ago.
Greetings.

Please try this.

Be sure that everything is closed for starters, remove any and all paper for now.

Turn the printer off.

Press and hold down the green GO button.

Turn the printer on and continue to hold the green GO button for at least 5 seconds, but not longer than 15 seconds. During the process, the Attention LED will turn on.

Release the GO button.

If both the Attention light and the Ready LEDs turn on before the GO button is released, the cold reset procedure must be started over at step 1.

The printer LEDs begin cycling. The cold reset process runs until completion and the printer returns to the Ready state.

Insert paper, attempt to print.
jnayes, Technician
Experience: 10+ years Network Administration, print servers/share
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried this but it did not work. Now all the lights are on the printer.
Expert:  jnayes replied 3 years ago.

1. Power OFF the printer and DISCONNECT the usb cable
2. Open the side cover.
3. While pressing the Continue and Cancel buttons at the same time, turn on the printer.
4. CONTINUE to PRESS and HOLD the Continue and Cancel buttons until ALL the indicators are turned on, then release the two buttons.
5. After the Continue, Error, and Ready/Data indicators go out, close the side cover.

The printer will:

Do NOT turn the printer off during the process until its completed. Once completed, unplug from the wall for 30 seconds. Plug back in. Be sure to check all doors on it. Usually means one of the doors isn't closed, not necessarily a jam. One of the sensors could be faulty.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still did not work. Only the error light is currently flashing now.
Expert:  jnayes replied 3 years ago.
If you've opened and closed all trays (opened and closed firmly). Performed the factory reset. Pulled and set the ink cartridges back in, you're possibly looking at a defective printer.

However, I'd like to check the software side of things as well. Unplug the USB cable from the printer.

Go to start, control panel. Programs. Uninstall the printer drivers there.

Go to start, control panel, devices and printers, and if its listed there, right click delete/remove.

Go to:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&os=WW1&osl=en&SystemID=PRN_LSR_1320C&catid=-1&impid=-1

Download the correct driver for your operating system.

Restart your computer. Run the driver software. When prompted, plug the printer back in via usb. And see if its able to print a test page.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried, but still no luck.

Expert:  jnayes replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry to say then at this juncture it seems to see your printer may defective, like I said, it seems to me like a sensor, not the print head.

The problem is, dell service support is the only one that will likely take it in for repairs, and the cost will far exceed the current value of the printer. Printers are cheap, ink is expensive. The blinking exclamation is a VERY common issue with that model, and the printer itself has terrible reviews due to the constant hardware issues.

If you're under warranty (believe 1 year manu) you're fine, otherwise not much choice. If I might recommend replacements, believe it or not, HP is still the best. Their computers are garbage but their printers (besides the bloated software) are the most durable I've had experience with.

Stay away from Brother.

I've had a lot of success with certain samsung's and Lexmark's.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thank you for all your efforts. I will look into purchasing a new printer tomorrow.
Expert:  jnayes replied 3 years ago.
Honestly, find a few you like, and then post them to me so I can do the grunt work to determine reliability and other aspects.

I myself still prefer laser due to ink costs, but depends what you need it for. If you post me a list of available models in your area, I'd be happy to do some comparison of them. Not sure if you can go an extra day without a printer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will be looking into a high yield Lexmark laser printer. I typically print 250-400 pages per day.
Expert:  jnayes replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so as long as its not photo/picture high res you won't need inkjet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks! Have a great evening!