John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I am trying to connect a Canon MG5200 wirelessly using a Cisco

Customer Question

I am trying to connect a Canon MG5200 wirelessly using a Cisco Valet Plus router and although both seem to be on the network, everytime I execute a print a message comes back saying unable to find printer. It has also, when trying to determine cause of message error, comb back saying that there is document in queue which is preventing printing.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

NOTE: If you have Windows 7 or Vista, please let me know if you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version. Please click Start, then right click "Computer" and select Properties to find out the version.

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is Windows 7, 64-bit. I have used the system before utilizing a net gear router with no problems.

I have been waiting over 20 minutes without any follow-up. I understood you provided answers ASAP.

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
I apologize
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I really do need to get some assistance or will contact another service if you are not able to assist.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
You need to enter the wireless router name AND password XXXXX the printer. Please follow the steps on the guide below:

"Re-Establishing Printer Connection after a Network Change" guide ----->

If no luck, please follow the Initial Setup guide from here ----->

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have taken the steps you outline above on the printer. It has located the access point and have entered the password XXXXX indicated it is connected. It is when I go to print that the message comes back of not able to find the printer or an error message indicating that the printer has a queue that is preventing it from taking print command. Once I delete any unprinted documents, I go back in and it seems to set the printer in offline mode again sending me back through the same error trail.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK. Please follow the steps below:

1- Turn on your printer

2- On Windows 7, Click Start

3- Click "Devices and Printers"

4- Click "Add a printer"

5- Click "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"

6- Select your printer and click "Next"

7- Click Next

8- Click Next

9- Click Next

10- Click Finish

11- Wait 2 minutes and try to print

12- Does it work now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried to follow your recommendation and when I went to print, error message appeared indicating that there were items in print queue waiting to print that prevented my print. I selected troubleshoot but printer still would not print.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK, please follow the steps below to clear the printer spooler:

1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- Click "View By: Large icons"

4- Click "Administrative Tools"

5- Double Click "Services"

6- In the list of services, scroll down until you find one called "Print Spooler"

7- Right-click on "Print Spooler" and select "Restart"

8- Double-click on "Print Spooler" and select "Automatic"

9- Wait 60 seconds, then try to print
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did all the above and went to print and message came back indicating printer was offline. I went in and changed setting, not sure how it went to that setting in the first place, and attempted to print and message came back saying unable to locate printer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also noticed that there were two printers listed when I went in to add printer. One reflected the Canon MGS2000 Series under the HP system I am using, the other showed MGS200 series but then had AAS49DC000000 followed by an IP address. I selected the first one, but maybe this is cause of problem.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Are you sure the printer is connected successfully to your wireless network? Have you get the "Connected to the Access Point" message from the printer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have received that message after entering in the password. I tried again to insure that it was connected and it went through indicating I was connected to access point.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Let's try this FIRST:

1- Turn off your wireless router (and unplug it from the electricity outlet if it does not have a power button) BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)

2- Turn off your internet modem (if you have one) and unplug it from the electricity outlet

3- Turn off your computer(s)

4- Turn off your wireless printer(s)

5- Wait 60 seconds

6- Turn them all ON again.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

8- Try to print now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Waited five minutes. Tried to print and again message came back unable to print. Then checking printer status found 2 documents stopping printing of new document, deleted them, and then printer again defaulted back to offline. Does not seem to be fixing the issue. Do I need to reload printer ROM disc?

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Yes, but only if the disc has Windows 7 drivers. Then when prompted, please select "wireless" or "networked" printer. If no luck, then please disable the antivirus and the firewall on your computer, then restart the computer, then reinstall the software again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The disc does have Windows 7 drivers. I previously installed and had no problem working with the NetGear router or with the use of the printer with my family's other laptops, including a MacBook and a Windows Vista Desktop.

I will try to reload and see what happens.

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK, please keep me posted!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still not working after reloading. Not sure what next step is. Sending an inquiry into Canon folks to see if they can figure out what to do and why is stopped working when shows access point found and previous working condition with NetGear router with absolutely no issues.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you. You will receive an email when another expert takes your question. The new expert will see all our previous thread, so no need to explain the issue again.

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was able to solve the issue through a direct contact with Canon folks who insured that the wireless capability was working with all my home computers. Given the opt out from John after trying to assist, no other expert came forward to help me with my problem.

For that reason, I have not submitted the release of my deposit and would like it credited back to my account.

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
That's great. What was the issue?