John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

brothers LC61 series all-in-one (printer, fax, scan).

Customer Question

I have a brothers LC61 series all-in-one (printer, fax, scan). All of the sudden the color black stopped working. All the other colors work. What should I check? I just put a new black catridge in and that one does not work either.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Please remember to scroll down and click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Please follow the steps below:

1- Remove ALL the ink cartridges from the printer

2- Check that there is no residual tape on the cartridges.

3- Then clean the contacts (the hole where the ink comes out) on the cartridges as well as inside the printer itself

NOTE: Clean the contacts with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.

4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.

5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 60 seconds

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the issue persists

7- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

8- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

JS2348
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The color black still does not print. If I put a red catridge in

the black slot will that tell me anything?

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Oh no, please do not insert another color into the black one. You MUST insert ONLY the right color on each slot. Also, what's your Brother model number? LC61 is the model of the cartridges, not the printer.

And, are you using genuine Brother cartridges or generic/refilled ones? Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, the machine is MFC490CW- The ink catridges are genuine brothers product. I have used them for a couple of years now.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK, thank you!. Please follow the steps on the link below in order to clean the printhead from the printer's control panel:

Click here -----> http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/000700/000035/faq000735_015.html?reg=us&prod=mfc490cw_all&c=us&lang=en

Please do that 3 times and let me know (Please keep me posted!)