Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience

My 9 month old Lexmark S405 will NOT print any black ink!

My 9 month old Lexmark S405 has had a reoccurring printing problem. Twice now in the past 2 months, it does NOT print any of the black ink areas of my document??? I am a graphic designer and I need to be able to print color proofs. I have tried printing in color mode, grayscale mode, etc., it prints the color areas just fine- just not black! I have tried reinstalling my printer and ink cartridges, checking connections, test pages, printing in various programs (Illustrator, WORD, etc.) and it does print but NO BLACK INK! I have tried customized and advanced printing options in the print menu. I finally walked away from my printer last month and kept running down to KINKO'S to rpint things. A couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd give my printer another go and Whal-la! it's printing just FINE AGAIN. Then YESTERDAY, it began refusing to rpint any BLACK INL AREAS AGAIN!!! Uggg! I need a rpinter that works!! I have replaced the inkcartridges although my ink levels register at mostly full??? Is it my printer? Is it the ink cartridges? I bought new ones and made sure they are the Lexmark brand and correct cartridge #. PLease help!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there
If it is it means the print head has failed
In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced
The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page
Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace then the machine itself (however since the machine is less than a year old it should be covered by the warranty.)
The print head has seperate nozzles for each cartridge so it can print black for example and the color print blank even if the print head has failed.
It also works the same way with the detection of the cartridges

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click Accept”.

(Even if you are a subscription or trial member you must click "Accept" for me to be paid.)

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back is appreciated.