Tom K
Tom K, Asst. Information Systems Manager
Experience:  BS in IT from UMass Lowell, 10+ years working in the computer technology field
38490348

How to clear a paper jam on a canon pixma MP520. Jammed from

How to clear a paper jam on a canon pixma MP520.
Jammed from the front tray
Category: Printers
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.

Remove the paper following the procedure below.

(1) Slowly pull the paper out, either from the paper source or from the Paper Output Slot, whichever is easier.

(A) When printing from the Rear Tray

(B) When printing from the Front Tray

If the paper tears and a piece remains inside the machine, open the Scanning Unit (Printer Cover) and remove it.

After removing all paper, close the Scanning Unit (Printer Cover), turn the machine off, and turn it back on.

* Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine.

If you cannot pull the paper out, turn the machine off and turn it back on. The paper may be ejected automatically.

(2) Reload the paper in the machine, and press the OK button on the machine.

If you turned off the machine in step (1), all print jobs in queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

If you have no further questions and are satisfied with my answer, please remember to click on Accept Answer to close this question. I will continue to work on this question with you until we find a solution that is acceptable to you. I receive no credit for your question until you click Accept.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

While I thank you for your suggestions, there was no way I could grab the paper. Only a sliver showed!

I did solve my own problem. Did you know that on the lower back of the printer, below the paper tray(rear feed) There's a cutout in the printer body. In this cutout, there's a rectangle with what looks like a protruding grab bar. I pulled on this and the whole cover piece popped off. There was the sheet of paper exposed. So I removed the paper, and replaced the cover.

I am still getting uneven paer fedd , however. I'll pay if you can tell me whether or not there's supposed to be 2 rubber wheels grabbing the paper, and if there's only 1, how to replace the other. Thanks.

Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.

Thats great that you fixed it! The next step would have been to remove the back cover and check for the jam there, but good job in figuring that out!

We can try cleaning the paper feed rollers to solve the issue with the skewed paper feed.

1. Prepare to perform Roller cleaning

1. Ensure that the machine is powered on; then, switch the Paper Feed Switch to the paper source from which paper is not fed properly.
  2. Remove paper from the paper source (the rear tray or front tray) from which paper is not fed properly.

2. Perform Roller cleaning.

1. Press the <HOME> button.
  2. Use the Easy-Scroll Wheel or the right / left cursor button to select 'Settings' , then press the <OK> button.
  3. Use the Easy-Scroll Wheel or the right / left cursor button to select 'Maintenance', then press the <OK> button.
  4. Use the Easy-Scroll Wheel or the up / down cursor button to select 'Roller cleaning', then press the <OK> button.

5. Use the up / down cursor button to select 'Yes', then press the <OK> button.
    The machine starts Roller cleaning.
  6. Perform Roller cleaning three times.

If paper is not fed properly, repeat step 2 up to three times.

If I have been helpful to this point, you can click on Accept Answer now and we can continue to work on your question together.

Experience: BS in IT from UMass Lowell, 10+ years working in the computer technology field