Tom K
Tom K, Asst. Information Systems Manager
Experience:  BS in IT from UMass Lowell, 10+ years working in the computer technology field

Brother DCP 7020 Copier, Laser, Printer Message Back Cover

Brother DCP 7020 Copier, Laser, Printer
Message "Back Cover Open - close back cover" Message continues although back cover is closed. I have opened/closed back cover, rebooted, turned off, disconnected power, etc. and message will not clear.
  • Open the back cover.
  • Pull the flap down that hides the orange roller on the fuser (be careful: it's hot)
  • Locate the inner flap that runs from the centre to the right hand side.
  • 3/4 along the right hand side, there is a tiny little perpendicular appendage on this bar that should sit in a slot. Locate it properly and the error will go away. You can go that by slightly bending the slot if fits into on the inner flap. The appendage can get jossled out of the slot when one is removing jammed paper.

If you have no further questions and are satisfied with my answer, please remember to click on Accept Answer to close this question. I will continue to work on this question with you until we find a solution that is acceptable to you. I receive no credit for your question until you click Accept.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The perpendicular appendage (great description by the way - I saw it immediately) won't stay seated in the slot. I worry that trying to bend it will break it off. Any other ways to get it to stay in the slot?
It just needs a slight bend, just enough so the appendage will fit into the slot.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the bend sideways or top/down?
You are bending the slot correct? Just want to make sure your bending the right part.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I was trying to bend the "appendage." Any suggestions on bending a plastic slot? Butter knife? Letter opener?
A butter knife or letter opener should work fine. Just bend the slot a bit so the appendage will fit in and stay in.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not working, broke off part of the slot's edge. Would a spot of glue or rubber cement set there to hold it catch fire?

Is there anything that can be done to the tab on the far right that also moves up and down w/the appendage?

Super glue or rubber cement will be able to hold the part without causing any problem. Just be very light on how much you use and make sure its completely dried.