Colin Vincent
Colin Vincent, Engineer
Experience:  City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.
29964247

I am trying to connect my Canon iP 3500 to my laptop but it

I am trying to connect my Canon iP 3500 to my laptop but it is not on the list of recognised printers. Is it compatible with the software for the iP300?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Colin Vincent replied 3 years ago.

Colin Vincent :

Hi there. Windows has a fairly small list of printers built into it's own driver list. Any printers not on the list require the software to be installed from a cd or via download from the manufacturer. What version of windows is on your Laptop ?

Customer:

I don't know, as it is my husbands. I have a mac which the software I am using doesn't work on. Will it tell me on the computer?

Colin Vincent :

It does give the Windows version but it's a bit hidden away. If you clcik on te start button and look for "Computer" on the list (My Computer if it's XP). Right click on it and select properties from the list. it should take you to a system overview page which will tell you the Windows version

Customer:

Sorry Colin,

Customer:

It is Windows Vista

Colin Vincent :

Ok let me just look up the link for the software you will need for it

Customer:

thank you

Colin Vincent :

Ok this is the link to the software download for your printer.Selcect Vista from the operating system list and then click on the file name in the drivers section. When on the driver page click on the "i agree" button at the bottom of the page in the link and then it will ask you if you want to open or save the download (assuming you are using Internet Explorer). Select Save and the desktop as the location. When it has downloaded double click on the file name and the install will launch. When it finishes it will probably want to restart the computer to finish the process and that should be it done. Here is the link . http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_ip_series/pixma_ip3500#DriversAndSoftware

Colin Vincent :

Let me know if you get lost in any of that process

Customer:

Thank you Colin.

Customer:

I am typing this on the mac. so I will put the link in to the other laptop and follow your instruction.

Colin Vincent :

ok. if you get stuck reply back and it will notify me and i will pop back into chat

Customer:

Colin,

Colin Vincent :

hi

Customer:

I have done everything you said and the computer now recognises the printer. However it is sending documents to a print queue but not actually printing them. Do you know why that might happen?

Colin Vincent :

if the print jobs are not leaving the queue it is normally because it thinks the printer is offline or not connected. If the printer all appears ok and the lead is connected ok, it might be worth a restart to reset everything

Customer:

I have done that. Shall I do it again and if so, does it need to be in any particular order?

Colin Vincent :

if you have done it, since installing then that should be enough. if you go to start > control panel > printers and hardware it should list the printers on your machine. Does it say the status is Ready, offline etc ?

Customer:

it says "error"

Colin Vincent :

Ok. is the printer connected via usb ?

Customer:

yes

Colin Vincent :

If you right click on the printer and select properties it will take you into the printer settings. under the ports tab which port is checked as in use ?

Customer:

LPT1

Colin Vincent :

ok you need to change that to usb

Customer:

ok have done that

Colin Vincent :

Has the status changed

Customer:

no

Colin Vincent :

Ok it might be worth a reboot now the port has changed

Customer:

ok will do it now

Customer:

I'm so sorry to take up your time Colin. I would be in bed but I have a massive contract meeting in the morning and I need to get this sorted out. Otherwise it will be a very early morning :(

Colin Vincent :

no problem, Les hope we can get it sorted

Customer:

ok it now says ready

Colin Vincent :

Are there still jobs in the print queue from before ?

Customer:

no i have deleted them to avoid a backlog

Colin Vincent :

Ok try another print and cross your fingers

Customer:

no go. the status of the printer says "idle"

Colin Vincent :

idle just means it is waiting for a print. Was it the only printer listed in the printers folder ?

Customer:

no

Colin Vincent :

do you have other printers on this computer

Customer:

it shows other printers on the screen, shall I delete the ones we don't use any more?

Colin Vincent :

You just need to make sure the Canon is set as the default printer. The default printer will have a check mark next to it. If it is not the default, right click on it and set as default. There is also a test print option in the properties which will test the connection between computer and printer

Customer:

i have set it as the default. got to the test page option. clicked on to it but it won't print the test page

Colin Vincent :

Did the test page leave the queue or is it still there ?

Customer:

i think it left because it says there are no documents in the queue

Colin Vincent :

Can you keep the queue open and print something and see if the job appears in the queue

Customer:

no it doesn't appear

Colin Vincent :

Ok i am thinking something has gone wrong during the printer install as it should have selected usb as your port by default. I would right click on the Canon and delete it and any others you no longer use also so you can start clean. when they have all gone re run the install software again. unplug the printer from the usb and don't plug it in until the software prompts you to do so.

Customer:

Colin are you ok to stay on this for a bit longer or would you rather continue it tomorrow? I realise that it is late and I have been taking up a lot of your time. I am obviously happy to pay you more for what you have already helped me with

Customer:

I can do what you have suggested now and come back to you again tomorrow if I still have no luck?

Colin Vincent :

I am ok to continue if that is ok for you.

Customer:

ok

Colin Vincent :

i think one of the other printer drivers may have been interferring so my starting fresh with no printers installed i hope it will install correctly with the right ports etc

Customer:

ok. I can't scroll up through your answers to get the link for the install. could you resend it please

Colin Vincent :

Did you delete the previous file you downloaded ? Here is the link again if you need it http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_ip_series/pixma_ip3500#DriversAndSoftware

Customer:

ok, did everything again. Printer now shows as ready but just won't print. It might be better for my sanity (and yours!) if I call someone in to fix it.

Colin Vincent :

Self test print also not working ?

Customer:

no

Colin Vincent :

Did it pick the correct port this time ?

Customer:

yes

Colin Vincent :

i must admit i am running out of ideas. I assume the printer is know to be working ok

Customer:

It works fine with my mac laptop, but with this windows laptop it just doesn't want to do it. It is a mystery to me. Annoyingly, this is the one thing that I need to use windows for so I can't escape it. Thank you for all your help Colin, you have been great. I think I will call an IT person in. I am probably due for a bit of an overhaul anyway.

Customer:

What do I do to make sure you get paid?

Colin Vincent :

i hate mysteries so if you get time can you let me know what the issue was. if you clcik on the accept button i will get paid. sorry we couldn't get a resolve for you

Customer:

Will do. Thank you again. I REALLY appreciate all the trouble you went to.

Colin Vincent, Engineer
Experience: City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.