John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Brother HL2170W printer keeps saying error and wont print,

Brother HL2170W printer keeps saying error and won't print, I;ve rebooted printer and computer, there is no jam, help
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

NOTE: If you have Windows 7 or Vista, please let me know if you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version. Right click the "Computer" icon on your desktop and select Properties to figure it out.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Vista

Also, I am at the Brother website downloading the latest driver

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Ok, please follow the steps below to uninstall the printer software completely using the Windows Install Cleanup TOOL and then re-install it:

1- Unplug your printer from the computer

2- Uninstall the BROTHER printer software going to Start, Control Panel, Uninstall a Program

3- Download "windows install cleanup" tool. Go to
http://wikisend.com/download/387340 and click on "Download file" to download and install this tool

4- Remove any BROTHER printer application using this tool. (if you find any)

5- Restart the computer BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you).

6- Download the newest driver here:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/dlf/000000/003100/dlf003193.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2170w_all&type2=1&os=74&flang=8&dlid=dlf003193

And click the "Download" button. When the download is over please run the file

Select OPEN or RUN if prompted. Otherwise click SAVE and save the file to your desktop, then double click it to start the installation.

7- After the new driver is installed please restart your computer (BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)

8- Turn on your printer and plug in the USB cable to another available USB port in your computer and try to print

9- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

10- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fixed, but the next morning I had the same problem again. What's going on?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
That's weird. When you try to print, make sure the printer is turned ON before you try to print. If you send a document to the printer and then you turn on the printer, then the printer spooler may be blocked. Please check that and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Printer is always on, when I send a file to the printer the printer makes a sort of grinding sound as if it is going to print, but then nothing happens. The print queue says error
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK. Please follow the steps below:

1- Click Start
2- Click Control Panel
3- Click "Control Panel Home" on the left
4- Click "System and Maintenance" on the top
5- Scroll down and click Administrative Tools
6- Double-click on Services
7- In the list of services, scroll down until you find one called "Print Spooler"
8- Right-click on "Print Spooler" and select "Restart"
9- Double-click on Print Spooler and select "Automatic" next to "Startup type"
10- Click Apply (if it is enabled)
11- Click OK

12- Try to print now

13- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

14- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.