Tom K
Tom K, Asst. Information Systems Manager
Experience:  BS in IT from UMass Lowell, 10+ years working in the computer technology field
38490348

unable to clean 51 on mfc 665 cw

unable to clean 51 " on mfc 665 cw
Category: Printers
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.

To clear the message, you need to disconnect the Brother machine from the power outlet to check the machine.

Follow the steps listed below:

1. Check for foreign objects, such as a paper clip or scrap of paper, inside the machine.
    Disconnect the machine from the power outlet and open the scanner cover by pulling up on the lower right corner of the cover. Look inside the machine and remove any foreign objects. If you see jammed paper or another item inside this area, gently pull it out and then close the scanner cover securely.

2. If the error continues to appear, move the print head and examine under the print head.

NOTE : The images shown below are from the representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.

2-1.Disconnect the Brother machine from the poweroutlet.
2-2.Open the scanner cover by pulling up on the lower right corner of the cover.

image

2-3.Check the print head's position.
In the example photo the print head is positioned at the left hand side of the platen area.

image

2-4.Gently move the print head to the center.

Caution

Be careful not to force the print head to move.

If the print head is positioned at the far right hand side, you cannot move it.

image

2-5.Examine under the print head. If anything is found, remove it.

image

Hint

Use a flashlight if necessary to check thoroughly.

2-6.Close the cover and reconnect the machine to the power outlet.

If you have no further questions and are satisfied with my answer, please remember to click on Accept Answer to close this question. I will continue to work on this question with you until we find a solution that is acceptable to you. I receive no credit for your question until you click Accept.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

print head is all the way to right. what then

Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Using your hand, check to see if the print head is able to move or is loose in its current position.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i can move it
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Follow the steps from that point, move the print head to the center and check to see if any foreign object is under the print head or on the print head path and remove it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing there now it is on right and will not move if i try

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did you get the reply?

Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Try this reset procedure:

- Turn the Machine off
- Switch on the machine while holding down the “menu”button until all the leds are flashing on/off. Now you are in “maintenance” mode.
- press 80
- press the “mono start” button several times until you see “purge: xxxx”
- press “2783” in order to reset the purge counter. You will see: “purge:0000”
- press the "stop" button.
- press “99” to exit the maintenance mode.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i did that and reset it. I tried to print but it says cleaning and receiving data but just doent print. It oesnt have the 51 code though. It just goes to home screen.

Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
When you turn the printer back on, does it show any message on the screen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no just the home screen
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Turn the printer off then back on again and try to print once more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i turned off and i tried to print again and it went to receiving data, to cleaning ,then to unable to clean 51 again
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
OK your printer is at a point where there is a hardware issue and it will need to be sent to a Brother service center to be repaired.

The problem is the purge cam HP switch does not go OFF even after the purge cam has been driven by the specified number of pulses.

If you give me your zip code I can look up the nearest service center to you for you to contact.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
92352
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
The closest repair center to you is:

BETTER BUSINESS SOLUTIONS
17311 LILAC STREET STE B
HESPERIA, CA 92345 Distance: 13 miles
Phone: (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Contact them and you will be able to setup a service call to have your machine repaired for the faulty HP switch.
Experience: BS in IT from UMass Lowell, 10+ years working in the computer technology field