Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer and Printer-related problems

Brother HL-5250DN printer. Paper is wrinkling frequently on

Customer Question

Brother HL-5250DN printer. Paper is wrinkling frequently on the upper right corner of the page. Are there internal paper guides that I can set? I've found the page-size setting on the paper tray (we have only one).

As an alternative, can I purchase a replacement paper tray? Thank you.
Chris Putnam
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 3 years ago.

Sandeep Pamarati :

hallo sir,

Sandeep Pamarati :

happy to help you.../

Sandeep Pamarati :

To solve the problem, please try the followings:

Make sure that the paper in the paper tray is straight. If the paper is curled, straighten it.

Reduce the amount of paper in the paper tray.

Check if the LCD or LED shows some error. If necessary...

Check the Paper Source setting of the printer driver.

NOTE: Illustration shown below is from the representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.

Driver

Clean the Separation Roller, Pickup Roller and Separation pad following the instructions below:

Turn the power switch off and unplug the machine from the power outlet.

Remove the paper tray from the machine.

When you look inside of the machine where the paper tray has been removed from, you will see the Separation Roller and the Pickup Roller at the front hanging down.

Check the Separation Roller / Pickup Roller.

Brother machine with a FB (FlatBed)

Brother machine without a FB

Below is the view from beneath. Two Pickup Rollers are located behind the Separation Roller.

Check the surface of the rollers.

Clean the surface of the rollers with a wet lint-free cloth.

Please use a soft cloth for the Separation Roller, and use a hard cloth for the Pickup Rollers.

Caution

Do NOT use isopropyl alcohol. Do NOT use any type of spray to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.

Clean all surface of the rollers turning them around.

Check the Separation pad on the paper tray.

Check the surface of the Separation pad.

Clean the surface of the Separation pad with a wet lint-free cloth.

Please use a hard cloth and scrub the pad.

Caution

Put the paper tray back into the machine.

Plug the machine's power cord back into the AC power outlet and turn the power switch on.

Sandeep Pamarati :

let me know if it helps....

Sandeep Pamarati :

Let me know if it helps....

thanks for your time...

Sandeep Pamarati :

good day to you sir...

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

Hello Mr. Pamarati,

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

dsfsdf

Sandeep Pamarati :

yes sir...

Sandeep Pamarati :

are you there sir...

Sandeep Pamarati :

did you try the above steps..

Sandeep Pamarati :

What is the situation....

Sandeep Pamarati :

i am waiting for your reply sir...

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

It seems that this is set up only to support Live Chat? But that is a problem because of our time zone difference. ?

Sandeep Pamarati :

sir...

Sandeep Pamarati :

let me know the problem now...?

Sandeep Pamarati :

and did you try the above steps....

Sandeep Pamarati :

let me know i will wait for your reply ....

Sandeep Pamarati :

no worries....

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

It was close to midnight when I received your reply on Tuesday. Yesterday I was out of the office most of the day and had no opportunity to work on the printer.

The pictures you refer to in your instructions do not appear in your message. Please explain where I will find the Separation Pad?

The printer is down the hall from my office, so I will be away from my computer for a short while as I clean the rollers and test the results.

OK, here is more information-

The test pages I just printed appear to have printed the first side okay, but on the second side it got wrinkled after the print was laid on the page by the toner, but before it got fused onto the page.

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

Are you thinking?

Sandeep Pamarati :

if you are unable to find the Separation Pad i will provide the image...

Sandeep Pamarati :

it will be very easy to find sir...

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

Is it on the front edge of the paper tray?

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please click here sir....

Sandeep Pamarati :

If you have any dout let me know sir...

Sandeep Pamarati :

I will wait for your reply sir....

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

Okay, I have cleaned the rollers and the pad.

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

?I printed about 5 test pages, double sided.

The first side was okay.

On the second side, the text (inside the wrinkled part) was laid on the page by the toner cartridge, but not fused onto the page -- it smudges off.

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

This tells me that the wrinkling is not happening out of the paper tray, but inside the printer between the toner cartridge and the fuser.

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

It seems to happen more often on the second side of the page, but has happened on the first side.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Sir...

Sandeep Pamarati :

In this case need to clean the carona wire ....

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please follow the below steps....

Do NOT use flammable substances or any type of spray to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.

1. Press the front cover release button and then open the front cover.

2. Take out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.

Caution
We recommend that you put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly on a piece of disposable paper or cloth in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.

To prevent damage to the printer from static electricity, DO NOT touch the electrodes shown in the illustration.

3. Clean the primary corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the blue tab from right to left and left to right several times.

Caution
Be sure to return the tab to the home position (1). If you do not, printed pages may have a vertical stripe.

4. Put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly back in the printer. Close the front cover.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Let me know the situation sir....

Sandeep Pamarati :

Thank you so much for your patience sir....

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please try to do and let me know if it helps...

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

No, none of these things has fixed the problem.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Okay ....

Sandeep Pamarati :

We have one more option sir....

Sandeep Pamarati :

To reset the print server back to its default settings (resetting all information such as the password XXX IP address information), follow these steps:

1. Turn off the printer.
2. Make sure that the front cover is closed and the power cord is plugged in.
3. Hold down Go as you turn on the power switch. Keep Go pressed down until all the LEDs light up, and then the Status LED turns off.
4. Release Go. Make sure that all the LEDs have turned off.
5. Press Go six times. Make sure that all the LEDs light up to indicate the print server has been reset to its default settings.The machine will restart.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please try to do and let me know the situation sir....

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

I followed your instructions to? ??reset the print server back to its default settings. Now nothing prints at all. The print job doesn't even register in the print queue. I must wait for the person who originally set up the printer to return from lunch, to see if he can get the network to communicate with the printer again.

Sandeep Pamarati :

okay sir...

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

I just got an email saying you had replied (at 12:12), but I don't see any message from you here. Have you signed off?

Sandeep Pamarati :

I am here sir....

Sandeep Pamarati :

Are you there....

JACUSTOMER-v5lb7ety- :

Okay, we have managed to get the printer back online and printing, but the wrinkling problem is not solved. Do you have any more suggestions?