Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

Canon MG5220 Printer Not Responding.

My Canon MG5220 printer is not responding. I have tried re-doing the wireless connection set up process, but it still doesn't print from my laptop, which it used to do perfectly well.

Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the technician helping you today. Sorry to hear you're having this issue.

On your laptop:
What version of Microsoft Windows are you using?
Windows XP has a green rectangle that says "Start" in the lower left corner of the screen.
If the button is round, click it, then right click on "computer", and select "properties". It will tell you if you have Windows Vista or 7 there. Please tell me which one you have.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have windows 7 (home edition).

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.

Thanks.

One more question on my side:
Is your Windows 32 or 64 bit?

1. Click the Windows Logo button (button at the bottom left of screen).
2. Type system in the search bar
3. Select system from the search results
4. Please find you System Type (32 or 64 bit)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is 64 bits.

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.

Great, lets try the following:

1. Unplug your printer connection from the computer
2. Click the Windows button
3. Select Devices and Printers
4. Right click your printer and select remove and confirm
5. Exit the Devices and Printers window
6. Restart your computer

Then reconnect the printer to your computer with the USB, and windows should find it, and try to add it again.

Once it has does that, please download the latest drivers for your printer here:

CLICK HERE

Select Windows 7 x 64 from the drop down box.

Then under drivers, pick the 4th file down, MG5200swin104ejs.exe and download it. Save the setup file to your computer, and run it after it is done to install the latest drivers for your printer.

Let me know if the issue persists by posting back to this page so that I can provide you with further directions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The printer is wireless so it isn't connected to my computer and there is nothing to unplug. Should I omit this step or do something different in the beginning?

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Does the printer connect to any computer locally?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The only cord going into it is the power cord.

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
No worries - please go ahead and skip step one and proceed, thanks for letting me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I figured it out - thanks!
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this issue. Sometimes you just have to re-install the printer like that, but you should't have to do it again for awhile.

Thank you.

Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified