Colin Vincent
Colin Vincent, Engineer
Experience:  City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.
29964247

Have a PIXMA MP830, Message says waste ink absorber is almost

Have a PIXMA MP830, Message says waste ink absorber is almost full, replacement is recommended, see manual.
1. Where in the manual ?
2. Do I need a replacement part, if so what do I need, partnumber etc. where could I buy?
3. Are there any service centers on and around Norwalk, Ct 06851
( All I got from the internet is instructions on installing a new print head-do I need one ? sounds pricey?
Ed Zigmond XXX-XXX-XXXX ,XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Printers
Expert:  Colin Vincent replied 3 years ago.

Colin Vincent :

Hi there. The message on your printer is referring to the waste ink collection pads within the printer that absorb ink expelled during head cleaning etc. At a pre determined amount of printer usage the printer is shut down and requests service of the waste ink pads to prevent possible problems from ink spills from overflow. The Warning is not based on any actual measurement of ink level just on a usage estimate. The actual waste ink pads are not a user replaceable item as they sit deep in the printer and it requires a major strip to replace. This is because the waste ink pads are considered to normally last the life expectancy of the printer and Canon assume most users will replace the printer before or when full. There a 2 choices to bring the printer back to working. The first is to have the pads replaced and the warning cleared by a technician or service center (Approx about $100) or to reset the waste ink warning and continue as is and monitor the printer for any ink leaks. In truth i have never seen one leak but the potential is there. There is a front panel button routine that will usually clear the warning if you want to try the reset and continue approach.

Customer:

Thanks very much, I'll try the front panel button routine to reset and continue.

Customer:

( Since the printer uses a lot of ink, I installed a black and white copier to get copies from the computer and internet-But the Canon is very handy to make a few copies now and then)

Customer:

So please send me a copy of the procedure.

Colin Vincent :

Ok. The sequence is very important so it can take a couple of tries to get it 100% right.

• Start with printer off

• Press and hold resume Button (triangle in the circle) and click “Power” button. green led should be on

• While still holding the Power button, release the Resume Button.

• Without releasing the Power Button, click “Resume” button for two times and then release Both Buttons.

• Click “Resume” for four times then click the “Power” button, to confirm the selected action (reset counter absorber).

• Turn off the printer and turn on again and all being well it should have cleared
  • Colin Vincent, Engineer
    Experience: City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.