Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer and Printer-related problems
383181

Cleaning a laser printer--need to eliminate smudges

Cleaning a laser printer: I would like step by step instructions to eliminate smudges on the printouts. How do I thoroughly clean the inside of a Brother MFC8460N laser printer?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 3 years ago.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Hallo Sir,

Sandeep Pamarati :

Happy to help you...

Sandeep Pamarati :

Please follow the below steps...

Sandeep Pamarati :

Make sure that the paper in the paper tray is straight. If the paper is curled, straighten it.

Reduce the amount of paper in the paper tray.

Check if the LCD or LED shows some error.

Check the Paper Source setting of the printer driver. If "Manual" is selected for "First Page", change it to "Auto Select" or "Tray1".

NOTE: Illustration shown below is from the representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.

Clean the Separation Roller, Pickup Roller and Separation pad following the instructions below:

Turn the power switch off and unplug the machine from the power outlet.

Remove the paper tray from the machine.

When you look inside of the machine where the paper tray has been removed from, you will see the Separation Roller and the Pickup Roller at the front hanging down.

Check the Separation Roller / Pickup Roller.

Brother machine with a FB (FlatBed)

Brother machine without a FB

Below is the view from beneath. Two Pickup Rollers are located behind the Separation Roller.

Check the surface of the rollers.

Clean the surface of the rollers with a wet lint-free cloth.

Please use a soft cloth for the Separation Roller, and use a hard cloth for the Pickup Rollers.

Caution

Do NOT use isopropyl alcohol. Do NOT use any type of spray to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.

Clean all surface of the rollers turning them around.

Check the Separation pad on the paper tray.

Check the surface of the Separation pad.

Clean the surface of the Separation pad with a wet lint-free cloth.

Please use a hard cloth and scrub the pad.

Caution

Put the paper tray back into the machine.

Plug the machine's power cord back into the AC power outlet and turn the power switch on.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Let me know if it helps...

Sandeep Pamarati :

Thanks for your time...

Sandeep Pamarati :

Good Day to you sir....

Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer
Experience: Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer and Printer-related problems