John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

After installing my new router, I cannot get my wireless printer

After installing my new router, I cannot get my wireless printer connected.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.
What's your printer brand and model? Also, what Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

NOTE: If you have Windows 7 or Vista, please let me know if you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version. Right click the "Computer" icon on your desktop and select Properties to figure it out.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot connect my computer to my router. I am so, so frustrated and disgusted with this purchase. If you can tell me how to set my router back to factory settings and start all over perhaps that will help. Otherwise, I'm returning it and purchasing another brand.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK. What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately I have Vista
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

32 bit

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK, thank you!. Please follow the steps below:

1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- Double click Printers

4- Click "Add a printer"

5- Click "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"

6- Select your printer and click "Next"

7- Click Next

8- Click Next

9- Click Next

10- Click Finish

11- Wait 2 minutes, then try to print

12- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

13- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I unplugged my modem - left off overnight just to make certain. Started the router installation from scratch. Alas, still no connection.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK. What's your printer brand and model? Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not even trying to connect my printer. I'm merely trying access the internet wirelessly. I have NO wireless access so my printer cannot connect wirelessly to my computer.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Ok, please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "netgear" or "wireless" and no password will be asked (we can setup a password after all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 30 seconds.

4- Then unplug it from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 please)

Then please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows Vista:
1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- Click "Classic View" on the left

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

5- Click "Connect to a Network" (on the left)

6- You will see a list of wireless networks, please select your network name ("Wireless" or "Netgear") and click "Connect" (If you don't see any network name listed, please let me know)

7- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The computer see my network name but it doesn't receive a signal from the router.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Never mind - I have an appointment at 11:30 and I am leaving in ten minutes. I will unplug my router and return it to the store.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK, thank you for letting me know