Mary
Mary, Digital Printing Specialist
Experience:  25+ years experience supporting color and b/w digital printing equipment
44751453

HP Photosmart C4795 will not scan or copy.

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.
If you try to print from your computer, does it work? Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, if I print from my computer it works.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK. What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

NOTE: If you have Windows 7 or Vista, please let me know if you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version. Right click the "Computer" icon on your desktop and select Properties to figure it out.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have Vista. I can't find a "Computer" icon on my desktop
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK, thank you!. Please try scanning using Paint, following the steps below:

1- From your computer, click Start
2- Then type "paint" without the quotes into the search box and press ENTER
3- Click File, and select "From Scanner or Camera"
4- Make any changes you would like and click "Scan"

5- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

6- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It still does not print. It says Unable to retrieve image from device. Verify device is properly connected and try again.

The printer is plugged in and it is a wireless.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, The printer and computer are wireless. The printer is plugged into an outlet.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Let's try this FIRST:

1- Turn off your wireless router (and unplug it from the electricity outlet if it does not have a power button) BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)

2- Turn off your internet modem (if you have one) and unplug it from the electricity outlet

3- Turn off your computer(s)

4- Turn off your wireless printer(s)

5- Wait 60 seconds

6- Turn them all ON again.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

8- Try to scan now

9- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

10- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The printer did not scan. It says"Scan Failure. Unable to copy or scan." Also the power light is blinking. (as it was before).
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you. You will receive an email when another expert takes your question. The new expert will see all our previous thread, so no need to explain the issue again.

Thank you

Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your printing and scanning issue.

I see that you have Vista and there's a different method to check for the 32/64-bit version (I do need to know that).

Click on your Start Menu
Right-click on My Computer
Choose Properties

Once you've told me that information, I can continue to help you troubleshoot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My Hp Photosmart C4795 does not scan or copy. Do you have my previous comments.
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I can read the previous discussion.

I'm happy to help you solve this problem, but I do need to know the bit version of your Vista OS.

See my previous message on how to find this out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is 64 bit
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information.

Give me a few minutes to upload all the most recent drivers and software for your Photosmart.

As soon as it is ready, I'll be back with a download link and we can step through the installation and configuration process together if you like.

Mary

EDITED TO ADD: In the meantime, please do the following:

1. Click on your Start Menu
  2. Click on Control Panels
  3. Double click on Add/Remove Programs
  4. Look to see if you have any installed Photosmart software
  5. If so click on it to select and then click Remove
  6. Follow any instructions and reboot if told to do so.

Edited by Mary on 2/20/2011 at 9:15 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Yes, I would like it if you can go through the process with me.
Joan
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joan and absolutely no problem.

The file is quite large, so bear with me.

Also, I edited my post with some further instructions. I'll copy them again here:

1. Click on your Start Menu
  2. Click on Control Panels
  3. Double click on Add/Remove Programs
  6. Follow any instructions and reboot if told to do so
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The closest I can find in the control paned is Programs, Uninstall a Program. Is that what I want.
Joan
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that is.

I'm more used to looking at Windows XP, so some of the wording of my instructions might be different, but the end result is the same. Smile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I uninstalled the printer. The computer rebooted.<br />What next?<br />What do I do nex? How do I get my printer to scan and copy?<br />Joan
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joan:

The file is now finished uploading. As I said, it is quite large, so be prepared for a lengthy download.

Click on the following link. When asked, save the file to your desktop. Let me know when you have done that.

Photosmart C4795 CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The downloading is complete.
Joan
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Great, thanks for letting me know.

Now, double click on the .ZIP file. A window should appear where you'll see the HP software file (an EXE). Don't worry about any macos files.

Click and drag the EXE file to your desktop. It should begin decompressing.

Let me know when this is successful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. I did that.
Joan
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Joan.

Before we begin the install, you will need:

1. The name and password XXXXX your wireless network (commonly called the SSID and WEP/WPA key). I assume you know this since you've had the printer installed wirelessly before now.

2. A USB cable to connect your computer to the printer (for the wireless configuration process)

Do you have all of this?

If so, we'll continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the network name jenquin1 but I don't see a password. I see Encryption = 64-bit WEP. I have in my notes - Network Security Key: *** I have a password XXXXX I use very often. I could try that.

I do have the cable.
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let's go with the network security key you have in your notes. If it doesn't work, there are other ways we can try to discover your network password.

Do you now have the EXE file on your desktop?

If so, please double click on that and follow the on-screen instructions. It will step you through the process and tell you when to connect the USB cable to further configure.

Let me know how far you get with this process and if you have any problems.

Edited by Mary on 2/20/2011 at 11:21 PM EST
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
This should get your printer and scanner working properly, but if not let me know and we'll continue to troubleshoot.

Mary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I went through the process withou any trouble. I used the wireless installation. It prints from the computer just.

But it still doesn't copy!

Joan
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Does it scan successfully?

And when you say it won't copy, can you explain in a bit more detail what you mean? If you put an original on the glass and press the copy button, what happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It doesn't scan either. When I put something on the glass, I go through the steps: select color copy (or black and white) and hit o.k. "Scan failure, unable to scan of copy " shows on the little printer screen.

Joan
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Wow, it's really being a pain, isn't it?

Here's a reset procedure we can try:

Unplug the printer for about 2 minutes
Press and hold the # key and the 3 key (keep holding them down while...)
Plug in the machine
Keep holding the # and 3 keys until the screen says a reset has occurred
Release the buttons and try copying again

If this still doesn't work, them I'm afraid you'll have to take your machine for a technician to examine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On my keyboard #key and 3key are the same. I pressed the control and 3. It still doesn't work. I tried a couple of other combinations (alt 3, windows 3). It still doesn't work.
I'll try calling HP. I do appreciate your efforts.

Joan
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Oh, I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding! I meant hold the # and the 3 key on the keyboard of the machine itself.

Communication online can be tough sometimes!

If you don't get any joy from HP, try my suggestion and see if it works.

Mary