John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

canon pixma mp560. brand new. scan function does not work

Customer Question

canon pixma mp560. brand new. scan function does not work from Navigator EX software. The printer starts up (meaning that there is some sort of communication happening), and I receive 'scanner is warming up ... ' message, then I receive an error message "can not communicate with scanner... code:5, 145, 55"

Printing function works fine via the same software, Navigator EX. Scanning does work when performed from 'Scanner Management' icon on the control panel--> hardware and sound --> devices and printers.

The printer/scanner is connected wirelessly.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

NOTE: If you have Windows 7 or Vista, please let me know if you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version. Right click the "Computer" icon on your desktop and select Properties to figure it out.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I am running Windows 7 and it is 64-bit.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Please try scanning using Paint, following the steps below:

1- Click Start
2- Then type "paint" without the quotes into the search box and press ENTER
3- Click the first icon before "Home", and select "From Scanner or Camera"
4- Make any changes you would like and click "Scan"

5- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

6- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

Do you want me to open the application "Paint"?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

Well, I guess that's right as I see the "From scanner or camera" but it is grayed out and I cannot click on it.

What do I need to do?

Thanks.

Kiyomi

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK. Let's try this FIRST:

1- Turn off your wireless router (and unplug it from the electricity outlet if it does not have a power button) BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)

2- Turn off your internet modem (if you have one) and unplug it from the electricity outlet

3- Turn off your computer(s)

4- Turn off your wireless printer(s)

5- Wait 60 seconds

6- Turn them all ON again.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

8- Try to scan

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

Scanning from Paint works fine, but Navigator EX still returns me the same error code. I need to be able to scan from Navigator EX as this is the only way I can save scanned documents in PDF format. Paint doesn't give me that option.

Kiyomi

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
It seems this is an issue with the wireless network. We can try a workaround transforming the JPG file to a PDF one, do you want to try that? Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John, I really don't think it's a network issue because it works fine wirelessly using control panel 'devices and printers' and also "Paint." Also I can print wirelessly, so communication is happening fine. I have a feeling that there is something in the software (setting or configuration) that got corrust but I have no idea where to look. (l checked places like property, setting, tools, preference and places like that.)

Kiyomi

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John,

I just thought of something and went to Canon website, downloaded the software (Navigator EX), and tried it again and worked!

Thanks for trying to help me anyway. I don't mind going ahead and paying the fee for your time anyway.

Also, I would like to learn how I can transfer JPG file to PDF, that will be helpful in the future.

Kiyomi

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
That's great!, I was just copying the link to download the software and try that. In order to convert almost any kind of file to a pdf file, download the free version of PRIMO PDF from here ---> www.primopdf.com

Then click "Download Free"

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!