Brad
Brad, Technician
Experience:  Level one tech support for IBM clients
669790

My HP Printer is saying check cartridges after I have changed

My HP Printer is saying check cartridges after I have changed the colour and then black ink cartridges. Put the old ones back in and still saying check ink cartridge. Your advice please. Thanks, John

Brad :

Thank you for choosing Just ANswer

Brad :

Take the cartridges out of the printer and turn it off and unplug it from the power.

Brad :

after a couple of minutes plug it in and turn it on without any cartridges installed.

Brad :

See if there is an error

Brad :

then open the printer turn it off and install the cartridges and turn it on.

Brad :

let me know what it does

JACUSTOMER-j7f10x83- :

Waiting to see what happens! There is still and error on the printer

Brad :

What is the make and model of the printer

JACUSTOMER-j7f10x83- :

Hp 1300 series

Brad :

Did it say anything when there was no cartridge installed

Brad :

Try one cartridge at a time to see if we can figure out which one it is.

JACUSTOMER-j7f10x83- :

you can not install cartidges when the power is off because it aligns to the left and out of reach to install

Brad :

You also should clean the contacts on the printer head and the cartridge with alcohol on a q tip. and make sure that none of the protective tape that is on them is stuck to it or the print head

Brad :

here is what HP has to say about it

Brad :

You said that you cannot install with the power off. That is why I asked you to open the printer so that the head would come out of hiding so that you can install and when it comes out of hiding then you turn it off or unplug it and then install the cartridges.

JACUSTOMER-j7f10x83- :

The flashing E has been removed, but on the print test page, the colour is very faded, very little colour and this is a new cartridge and there is no black ink when I try a black ink photocopy.

Brad :

Did you let the cartridges dry well after you cleaned them? PLease run a couple of clean cycles with them and make sure that the contacts that you cleaned are dry.

JACUSTOMER-j7f10x83- :

the test pages are still very faint. I tried to print a couple of document pages and it won't print at all.

JACUSTOMER-j7f10x83- :

The document pages are now printing, but the black ink cartridge does seem to be working.

JACUSTOMER-j7f10x83- :

Sorry I meant to say that the black ink cartridge is Not working and the colour copies are now a little darker.

JACUSTOMER-j7f10x83- :

I am getting tired now and wonder if you can proceed with this tomorrow?

JACUSTOMER-j7f10x83- :

Reluctantly, I will accept the information I have received as my original question has been answered. Thank-you.

Brad :

We can continue to work on this. In regards XXXXX XXXXX black, if you change back to the old one what do you get?

JACUSTOMER-j7f10x83- :

There is still an E when I go back to the original black ink cartridge.

JACUSTOMER-j7f10x83- :

I bought another new black ink cartridge and it is now printing. The new cartridge must have been defective. Right now the printer is not showing a E and the test page has printed out. Thank-you.

Brad :

You are welcome and thank you for choosing Just Answer