Tom K
Tom K, Asst. Information Systems Manager
Experience:  BS in IT from UMass Lowell, 10+ years working in the computer technology field
38490348

I have a Dell photo 964 printer/copier/scanner/fax -all in

I have a Dell photo 964 printer/copier/scanner/fax -all in one- purchased
new 2003. I have been purchasing and using remanufactured ink cartridges.
The computer does not recognize the fluid level but allows me to print anyway...
for seven years until yesterday after printing three books the printer
tells me I have an "unsupported cartridge" and will not allow me to print.
I have been printing fine for two weeks on a new set of cartridges.
I took them out and put in new ones...didn't work. I uninstalled the printer
and reinstalled...didn't work. Called my computer guys to see if they knew
a way around this and they said "its old, it probably died, buy a new one"

Options or suggestions?
Mark
Category: Printers
Expert:  Tom K replied 5 years ago.

It is never advisable to use 3rd party ink cartridges in any name brand printer, as over time it will cause the printer to error out.

Is the printer just continually giving you an unsupported cartridge error now?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have you heard or encountered a printer which has been set up by the manufacturer to NOT read the ink levels in a remanufactured cartridge? Have you heard or encountered a printer that has been working correctly with remanufactured cartridges since purchase but now gives me "Unsupported cartridge" and will not print, at all? I know the printer does not recognize the fluid levels in the remanufactured cartridges but still lets me print. The unsupported cartridge pop up comes after it tells me that my fluid levels are low and I should purchase new ink. Have you encountered any software that will override the printer and make it print? Should I just purchase Dell ink which is 300% more? Why would it just start now? Any ideas based on past problems?

Thanks
Mark
Expert:  Tom K replied 5 years ago.

On the ink cartridges is an electrical strip which sits against the reading strip within the printer. 3rd party cartridges do not use the exact same strip as genuine Dell cartridges, which runs the potential of shorting out the 3rd party ink cartridges electrical strip, or worse yet the reading strip within the printer.

For the most part, printers will run without issue using a 3rd party cartridge, but overtime the risk of shorting out either the electrical strip on the cartridge or within the printer becomes greater.

In your case here, the strip on either the cartridge or within the machine has shorted and is no good. Test using any other cartridges you have and see if the printer will read them OK.

If other cartridges do work, then you just need to replace the new cartridges that the printer is not detecting as the electrical strip is shot.

If no other cartridges are working, then the electrical strip within the printer is shot. You can send the printer in for repairs, which may cost more than the machine is worth, but it may still be worth a try to see what the quote is.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will purchase a new Dell ink cartridge to determine if it is the cartridge or the printer. If I have to purchase a new printer for home use - mainly emails, color books and brochures, and color photographs - what brand of printers are good, better, and best?

Thanks
Mark
Expert:  Tom K replied 5 years ago.

The best quality printers from my experiences are typically Canons. They seem to have the least amount of serious problems, they usually do good on ink, and most of the problems are well documented so they are easy to fix when you do run into those issues.

After them I would good with Brother as they're printers seem to be some of the less trouble causing.

And a good middle of the line brand would be HP.