John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

how to I connect to my MFC-5860CN printer

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

Thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Windows XP Professional Version 2002
OK, please follow the steps below:

1- Click here ---> http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/dlf/000000/002300/dlf002360.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc5860cn_all&type2=1&os=7&flang=8&dlid=dlf002360

2- Then follow steps 1 to 6 under "How to Download and Install" you will find there

3- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

4- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I know this sounds like a really dumb question, but....where do I plug the USB cord into?

No problem at all. One end to the USB port on your computer, and the other end to the Brother printer. If you can't find them please let me know. (which one you cannot find? the computer port or the printer USB port?)

Thank you,

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
On the printer, I can't find either the USB port or a place to plug a network cable (the two options from the install menu)
The USB port on this printer is inside the printer... weird. Please click the link below to see the information:

Click here ---> http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/000500/000057/faq000557_002.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc5860cn_all&Cat=102

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

at the end of the Brother install process I get a message

Connect to the printer now. with further instructions

1. connect the usb cable

2. turn the machine on

3. wait for the installation process to continue.

I keep waiting, but nothing is happening.

I checked under Printers and Faxes and it shows a Brother PC-Fax, but does not show the printer.

What do you suggest?

Please change the USB cable to a different USB port on your computer, and see if the installation continues.

Thank you,

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That didn't do it.

Any other suggestions?

Please restart the computer and the printer and try again.

Please keep me posted.

Thank you,

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thanks. I won't do that until later tonight or tomorrow, and will keep you updated.

For clarity, I plan to: Shut down both devices. Restart the PC. Then connect and power up the printer.

If that doesn't work, I will go back to the step about reinstalling the printer (the downloaded .exe file) and start again.

Is that right?

Thanks

Yes, that's right.

"See" you later and thank you very much!