John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

PIXMA MX700 error UO43 (cant recognize ink tank) wont proceed

Customer Question

PIXMA MX700 error UO43 (can't recognize ink tank) won't proceed with any functions after wrong black print cartridge was placed (single 8 vs double 5)

I've searched all forums for various reset strategies..... none have worked.

many thanks!
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Please remember to scroll down and click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us, and even if you see the holding charge in your credit/debit account I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Refer to the following steps to verify the ink tanks are seated correctly: (source:canon.com)
  1. Confirm that the printer is powered on and pull open the paper output tray .

2. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)

3. Open the inner cover.

CAUTION:
    a. Do not try to manually move or stop the Print Head Holder.
    b. Do not touch any metal parts.

4. Press on the mark on the ink tank until the ink tank snaps firmly into place.

Note:
    Make sure that the ink tank is inserted in the slot that corresponds to the ink tank's color.

5. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

<1> Tanks properly installed.

<2> Tank not installed properly.

Note:
    Ink Tank Lamp
    You can check the status of each ink tank according to the way its lamp flashes.

• - On: The printer is ready to print.
    • - Slow flashing (at about three second interval): Ink is low. Prepare a new ink tank.
    • - Fast flashing (at about one second interval): Ink tank is empty, or the printer is not ready due to an error.
    • - Off: An error has occurred and the printer is not ready to print.

6. Close the inner cover and the scanning unit (printer cover).

Note:
    1. When closing the scanning unit (printer cover), be careful not to jam your finger.
    2. When starting printing next time, the print head cleaning launches automatically.
Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this was the first step... long ago! I have prowled the web (including this site) and done reset functions (similar to those suggested for people who were struggling with ink-fill cartridges)

I've had numerous inkjets.... and maintained them for my school.....

I think that either
1. the contact points were damaged when the smaller cartridge was placed in incorrectly (doubtful)
2. there is a 'reset' function I haven't tried that will allow the machine to consider the tanks as brand new (which they are) and that would fix it.

what do you think?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Have you removed the printhead also? If you haven't, please let me know so I can give you the instructions.

If you have removed and reinserted the printhead (not the ink cartridges) and no luck, then unfortunately the printhead is defective. Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace than the machine itself.

You can try also with a printhead cleaner but not always work. Click here for more info ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/Printhead-Cleaner-Canon-Pixma-MP510-MX700-QY6-0070-000-/220591223430?pt=Printer_Accessories&hash=item335c42f286

If you don't know how to remove and reinsert the printhead please let me know

Thank you

John Cappucci

John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had removed print head, swabbed a bit of dried ink, and replaced. Black tank lit up (I was happy) but on restart the same old U043 error stopped everything.

repeating cleaning process had no effect after first time.

I checked out print heads online..... $75-85..... still cheaper than replacing the unit.... but not much!

suggestions? thanks for your help
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
You can find a printhead on eBay from $60 but I would prefer to buy a new printer with warranty :-)

You can find very good prices at amazon.com, usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info ---> Amazon.com Printers

Thank you

John Cappucci