Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My Canon ip4500 printer will not print. The green light and

My Canon ip4500 printer will not print. The green light and orange light flash alternatively. Have tried disconnecting the power and the data cable for 10 minutes with no effect. Help!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

- How and when did this problem begun. Was there a paper jam or did you replace the ink cartridge.

- When did you buy this printer and since when are you facing this issue. How often do you use printer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Problem began today November 29/10. No paper jam and I did not replace a printer cartridge. Bought printer March 25, 2008. Use of printer a few times a week.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

The error you are getting is a generic hardware failure error.

This problem can happen because of following reasons :
1. There is some piece of paper / paper clip / sticker stuck inside printer and you are not able to access it. You need to open it up as much you can to see if something is stuck

2. The electric sensor which receives signal from the mechanical paper sensor to detect jam has issues. Either there is dust on it or its gone bad and needs replacement. You should first open up the printer and blow air in it (using compressed air can) to remove all dust.

3. The ink system or carriage system has failed. If it doesnt work then this repair will cost you much more than buying a new Printer. If its in warranty certainly call XXX.
As last ditch effort do this :

Remove all ink cartridges. Turn off printer and unplug all cables from it, then turn it upside down and shake it few times.

Then put it in right position, plug in both power and usb cable, turn it on and plug in the cartridges and see if you find some change

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" so that I get paid.

(You need to click ACCEPT even if you are a SUBSCRIPTION or TRIAL member)

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.