Jess
Jess, Technician
Experience:  Fix laser, dot matrix and deskjet printers
49766785

My canon printer MP600 series has error code 5010. What does

My canon printer MP600 series has error code 5010. What does that mean? Can't find my book.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jess replied 6 years ago.

Jess :

Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer. I am glad to assist you today.

Jess :

Is this a new printer?

Jess :

If this is a new printer and is covered by warranty, please rush to the seller and ask for replacement since this error indicates a mechanical/electrical failure which requires Canon's attention.

Customer:

It is not a new printer.

Jess :

However, a simple workaround is this. Turn OFF the printer. After about 60 seconds, turn it back ON by pressing the power button for about 6 seconds then release

Jess :

When the unit is powered ON, see if the error message is cleared.

Customer:

it did not clear

Jess :

Please let me know if the error is cleared

Customer:

it did not clear

Jess :

Ok.

Jess :

Do you have the CD installer for your printer?

Jess :

Please turn off the printer.
Then UNINSTALL the printer driver and all related software using Control Panel Add/Remove programs
Then download the latest drivers for the printer and install
Then see if the error message is cleared

Jess :

In some cases, this driver un-install/re-install helps clear the error code and continue to use the printer. But most cases, it ends in replacement since the error code indicates hardware/mechanical problem in the device

Customer:

k still looking. For some reason I can't find the CD either, but will see what I can do. Thnks

Jess :

Please wait while I will prepare the link for you to download the latest drivers for your software

Jess :

*for your printer

Jess :

What is your version of Windows? XP? Vista? Windows 7?

Customer:

on the outside of our Gateway computer it says designed for windows XP/windows vista compable

Jess :

Please click on this link below to get the driver for your printer. Just choose the correct Operating System that you are currently using:

Jess :

Do you know the Operating System of your Gateway computer? When it open, do you see Windows XP? Or Windows Vista?

Jess :

When you click the download link that I gave you, please choose the right Operating System

Jess :

So that you will get the right drivers

Jess :

But please UNINSTALL the current drivers and software of your printer first before INSTALLING the newly downloaded one

Customer:

ok my husband says it is XP. Thanks. I'm not very computer savy and he's worse than me but he at least bought the computer.

Jess :

Ok

Jess :

so here is the link for the XP Download

Jess :

I mean on the link that I gave you, just CHOOSE the OS Windows XP so that you will get the XP drivers

Jess :

Just download the Printer Driver that is 11.97MB

Jess :

But please UNINSTALL the previously installed drivers and software before installing the new one ok?

Jess :

Just download the printer drivers (11.97MB) and not the other Software. If after re-installing, the error is cleared, then get the software and install them as well

Customer:

So do I just delete the printer, I don't see an unintall

Jess :

Please go to Control Panel

Jess :

Click Start => Control Panel

Jess :

Then locate Add/Remove Programs

Jess :

Double click Add/remove programs to open then in the list that appears, locate the printer name and all other canon software installed

Customer:

I see now. How about the user registration, that too?

Jess :

Yeah

Jess :

And other software like those related to photo printing

Customer:

K done, I'll try the download.

Jess :

yes please

Customer:

So it says there are no firmware updates for this.

Jess :

yeah... but the drivers downloaded and install already?

Customer:

I don't see how to download it

Jess :

Visit this link: Canon Printer Driver

Customer:

But if I stick with windows os it doesn't list any if I go to windows 7 it does.

Customer:

I guess I need to go to windowsXP

Jess :

Please scroll to locate Windows XP then click it to select XP

Customer:

got it

Jess :

ok

Customer:

my download manager says this kind of file can harm my computer, I think I better give up and buy a new computer. Thanks anyways.

Customer:

i mean a new printer

Jess :

no just let it install...it is a security question.

Jess :

Just install the driver and see if the error message is cleared

Jess :

If not, then the error message in its entirety is caused of a hardware/mechanical failure that needs replacement

Jess :

Please click the ACCEPT button to accept my answer and close the question. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Regards,
jess

Jess :

Installing now?

Jess :

Please keep me posted so that I can help you further with the download and installation of the new printer drivers

Customer:

error code did not go away. Thanks anyways