Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

Epson Stylus Pro 7800 Model K131A Serial #GLL0007210 (2005.11.29) Will

Customer Question

Epson Stylus Pro 7800 Model K131A Serial #GLL0007210 (2005.11.29)
Will not work
Message as follows:
Service Call Error (NNN) NNN-NNNN
What can I do to fix it?
Thanks,
Rose XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.

Hello. I can assist you with your question. The technical information for this particular error from the service manual is below.

The translation is that the printer most likely needs it's main board replaced, which would have to be done by an Authorized Epson Repair Center.

This error occurs when the cache area is judged as insufficient. The cache insufficient condition is likely to be caused by using the work area of the memory with unmatched interface mode settings or invalid commands. The printer stops operation when the error occurs.

Possible Causes
Malfunction of the program

Remedy
1. Check the interface mode setting
2. Installing Firmware
3. Replace the MAIN BOARD
Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I do the interface mode setting myself or does this require an expert?
Where is the closest available Authorized Epson Repair Center in my area? Phone # XXXXX well if possible.
I am located in Harrison, Maine near the Sebago Lake Region.
Thanks,
Rose

The interface mode you shouldn't have to change. I put that in there for completeness, but it it has been working, then the interface mode was set properly.

Epson only has one listed in Maine.

Pro Digital Gear

24 Main St
Orono, ME 04473
207-433-0469

There is are also two in New Hampshire, one is almost exactly the same distance, but this one is about 50 miles closer to where you are:

ITNH, Inc. 150 Dow Street
Manchester, NH 03101
603-669-6900

I would recommend calling one or both of them. they should be able to come to you for the repair. I would normally say to weight that cost against replacing the printer, but these printers are pretty expensive and the repair should only be a fraction of the cost of the printer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no dealer in Portland, Maine?
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.

There are many other Epson Authorized Service Centers, but they are for consumer products. The Sylus Pro is from Epson's Professional Imaging division and is handled by a small subset of their dealers because of the complexity.

The companies I gave you are from their listing on the site dedicated to the professional series. Not to confuse you, I also checked another site Epson has to refer people to their dealers, and the results were worse. You can go to the referral page to see that:

http://www.epsoninsider.com/cgi-bin/Insider/DealerReferral/Referral.jsp?oid=60321&name=Epson+Stylus+Pro+7800&am p;model=STYLUS-PRO-7800-UCM&buyOnline=No&countryCode=USA&storeSessionID=@@@@1904965719.1289834034@@@@&storeEngineID=ccfhadelmldkelgcfngcfkmdhjidfmh.0&e=13&type=S&prodid=C594001UCM&bvCookie=yes&zip=04040

If you go to the consumer products service site, you will see that your printer is not listed there.

http://pos.epson.com/service/servASPP.htm

I've checked their extended service contracts to see if you could save that way, but they are only obtainable if your printer is still under the original warranty.

Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,
Just wanted to let you know that I fixed our Epson Stylus Pro 7800 by unplugging all plugs and attachments for a couple of minutes and then re-attaching them all. When I turned the Epson printer back on, it worked fine - no need for a repair service or replacement of the mother board - WHEW!!!
Thanks,
Rose

Wow. That's quite a relief. Very strange, but I'm glad you were able to do it. Maybe you should consider becoming an Expert here? Laughing

I was cringing telling you that it would have to be serviced because I know they they are expensive to buy and expensive to service. So I'm really happy that you resolve it that way. Sorry I wasn't of more help.