Mary, Digital Printing Specialist
Experience:  25+ years experience supporting color and b/w digital printing equipment

I have downloaded and installed the Canon MP Navigator Ex 3.0

Customer Question

I have downloaded and installed the Canon MP Navigator Ex 3.0 to be able to scan with my MP270, but it will not open. Could that be because I have Windows 7 Starter, and if so, what software do I need?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Mary replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your scanning issue.

If you visit the following link, you can download the most recent version of the Navigator EX which supports both Windows 7 and your MP270:
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That's the software I installed and that won't open.

Expert:  Mary replied 5 years ago.
Very strange.

When you say it won't open: do you mean the .EXE file when you try to install won't launch or once the software is installed the program won't start up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The program won't start up.
Expert:  Mary replied 5 years ago.
Then I suggest we reinstall the software completely and reinstall from scratch.

There might have been a corruption or error during the first install that prevents the program from operating properly.

Before we start, please bookmark / favorite this page so you can come back to this thread in the event you are asked to reboot your computer.

To reinstall the software, please do this and tell me when you have done so:

• Click the Start button

• Click Control Panel

• Click Programs

• Click Programs and Features

• Find the Canon EX program and click once to select it

• Click the Reinstall button

• Follow the on screen instructions and reboot the computer if necessary
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I couldn't find a re-install button, but I uninstalled the program and re-installed it from the link to the canon website you gave me in your first reply. Still no luck, it won't open. Does it make a difference that my OS is Windows 7 *Starter*?
Expert:  Mary replied 5 years ago.
It very well might. I am reading that Windows 7 Starter is only included on small netbooks. Does this describe your computer?

Typically these types of computers are only intended to surf the net, email, etc.

Since the software I linked you to did not work, I do think then that the issue is the Starter version of Windows 7.

Although Microsoft lists Windows 7 Starter as being able to connect to various devices (printers and external drives, primarily) it may be that Canon did not include Starter compatibility in their software. They claim Windows 7 compatibility, but don't go so far to mention which versions of Windows 7.

Which type of computer do you currently have? Before I recommend a Windows 7 upgrade, I want to verify that it can run other versions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I indeed have a small netbook, a Samsung N150. I have connected it to my Canon multifunctional and the printing and photocopying functions work well. It's just the scanning that poses a problem, but I need that functoion a lot for my work, so I'm stuck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, but my scanning problem problem hasn't been solved yet; I still need to know what software I can download where to use the scanning function of my Canon MP270 with my Samsung N150 netbook abd Windows 7 Starter OS. (If it's not possible to use it, I would need that confirmed please.) If you cannot help, please pass me on to another expert.