Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer and Printer-related problems

I have a printer error #C000 on my Canon Pixma MX860, and get

I have a printer error #C000 on my Canon Pixma MX860, and get the message to shut off the printer and turn it on again. That did not fix the problem, and the message refers me to the user manual, but the manual says nothing about errors.

What needs to be done to restore my printer?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 3 years ago.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Hi Sir,

Sandeep Pamarati :

Happy to help you....

Sandeep Pamarati :

In this case you need to follow the below steps....

Sandeep Pamarati :

Remove Packing Material
Remove packing material so that the print head holder can move.

1. Confirm that the printer is powered off.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the printer or at the wall outlet or both.

3. Open the paper output tray and then lift up the scanning unit cover until it locks into position.

CAUTION: The orange protective tape may prevent you from opening the paper output tray. If that is the case, please refer to the illustration in step 4 to ensure the white foam piece is removed along with the protective tape.

4. Pull the orange protective tape (A) and remove the white foam (protective material) (B).

5. If the the white foam was not removed along with the orange protective tape, check for it on the right, inside the printer.
1. With the printer powered off and unplugged, slide the print head carriage to the left.
2. Looking inside the printer from the left, locate the white foam in front of the purge area.

Note: It is recommended to use a thin latex glove as there may be ink mist on the white foam or surrounding print area.

3. Cautiously remove the white foam with your hands. Be careful not to touch any other components in the printer.

6. Close the scanning unit cover.

7. Reconnect the power cord and then power on the printer.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Let me know if it helps...

Customer :

Your answer did not help. This is not a new printer that I am setting up, but one I have been using for about a year, and after I inserted a new ink cartridge, I cannot use the printer because of the "printer error # XXXXX"

Sandeep Pamarati :

Sir....

Sandeep Pamarati :

Try a print head cleaning:

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head and the electronic contacts on each ink cartridge.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Let me know if it helps...

Sandeep Pamarati :

Any Updates...

Customer :

This sounds like good advice, but the cartridge does not slide over far enough to remove the ink cartridges, and therefore, it is not possible to follow your advice.

Sandeep Pamarati :

Sir...

Sandeep Pamarati :

I said the reason why still problem is persist...

Sandeep Pamarati :

Any way thanks for your time...

Sandeep Pamarati :

God Bless..

Customer :

Sandeep,

Customer :

Sandeep: Thanks for your help. I cannot correct the problem myself for the reason I mentioned, but a friend thinks he will be able to use your suggestion, so I am going to go ahead and accept. Keep up the good work! JCM

Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer
Experience: Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer and Printer-related problems