John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I cannot get my Canon MP510 PIXMA printer to scan to my PC

Customer Question

I cannot get my Canon MP510 PIXMA printer to scan to my PC and preferrably into a PDF format.

Can you help me?
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

NOTE: If you have Windows 7, please let me know if you have Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?. Right click the "Computer" icon on your desktop and select Properties to figure it out.

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, John,
I have a 32-bit.
Windows Vista is the operating system.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Please try scanning using Paint:

1- Click Start

2- Then type "paint" without the quotes into the search box and press ENTER

3- Click File, and select "From Scanner or Camera"

4- Make any changes you would like and click "Scan"

5- Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

6- If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, John,
Thanks for trying to get me jump-started in the scan operation of the Cannon MP510.

I need to get a hard copy document over to my brother in Moscow who is working on his disseration and the mail system is very risky. So scanning it into my printer seems the best way to go.

I was able to get the paint app on and select "from scanner or camera" on the menu; beyond that, the two options "M510 Storage" and "MMC Storage" did not produce anything. There were no other options available to me.

Regards,
XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Ok, please follow the steps below to uninstall the printer software completely using the Windows Install Cleanup TOOL and then re-install it:

1- Unplug your printer from the computer

2- Uninstall the Canon printer software going to Start, Control Panel, Uninstall a Program

3- Download "windows install cleanup" tool. Go to
http://wikisend.com/download/563316 and click on "Download file" to download and install this tool

4- Remove any Canon printer application using this tool. (if you find any)

5- Restart the computer BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you).

6- Download the newest driver here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mp_series/pixma_mp510#DriversAndSoftware
Scroll down and then click the red triangle next to "Select OS" and select "WINDOWS 7 (X64)"

Click "mp510win111ej.exe" 10/26/2009 11.67 MB

Select I Agree - Begin Download

Save the file to your desktop, then double click it to start the installation.

7- After the new driver is installed please restart your computer (BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)

8- Turn on your printer and plug in the USB cable to another available USB port in your computer and try to scan now.

9- Please let me know if the issue is solved or not clicking "Reply to your expert", so we can continue troubleshooting

10- If I helped please scroll down and click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, John,
Thanks for trying to help me get the scanner communicating with the computer.

I read through your instructions; got to #2: "uninstall the canon printer software . . . start, control panel, uninstall a program"

the canon printer does not show up at all in the uninstall lists of 57 programs. Nothing to install; however, if I go to control panel and select "printers" I do show the canon printer and one of the options is to "delete" the program.

Is "delete" the option I need ? (I no longer have any software--CD--for reinstallation).

FYI--I will be glad to pay for the agreed price once I can get this printer/scanner to function correctly. I think we're close :)

XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Yes, please delete it, then follow the steps 6 and 7.

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
Will get back to my printer tomorrow and immediately work on it!

XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok, no problem at all. Please keep me posted tomorrow.

Thank you

John Cappucci