John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My canon MP700 continues to display a wrong cartridge error

My canon MP700 continues to display a 'wrong cartridge' error message even though I have the correct 3e cartridges in. I have tried taking the cartridges out and replacing them. What can I do about this?
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please remember to click ACCEPT if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us, and even if you see the holding charge in your credit/debit account I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Please follow ALL the step below to re-seat the print head (source:canon.com):

Reseat the Print head

Reseating the print head is seldomly required to do.

1. Make sure the power is turned on.

2. Press <Open> (1) and lift up the scanning unit (2). The print head holder automatically moves to the center of the machine.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

CAUTION:
    Do not try to manually move or stop the print head holder.
    Do not touch any metal parts.
  3. Press on the tab to release the ink tank (A), then remove it from its slot (B). Repeat this process until all ink tanks have been removed from print head.

4. Lift up the lock lever and take out the print head.

Register Here

5. Reinsert the print head.

Register Here

6. Insert the ink tank into the empty slot on the print head. Press down gently on the top of the tank until an audible click is heard. Make sure the ink tank is inserted into the correct color slot.

7. Close the scanning unit until it locks into place.

8. When the LCD (A) displays [ALIGN PRINT HEAD], press <Set> on the operator panel. The machine will print a horizontal line pattern, and the LCD will display [CHANGE H VALUE] on the top row and [A 0] at the bottom row.

(A): Column A
    (0): Value for Column A

9. In column A on the printout, note which box has the most solid image. Note the value next to this box and use [Left cursor] or [Right cursor] on the operator panel to enter it then press <Set>.

Register Here

10. Repeat step 9 for columns B to K.

11. When values for all columns have been entered and the LCD displays [PRINT VERT. PATTERN?] on the top row and [YES=(*) NO=(#)], press [#] to return to standby mode.
Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting.

If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed your instructions and when I closed the lid there was a loud grating noise so I opened the scanning unit again and now the I have cartrides jammed error message. What's next?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

It seems the printhead is not installed correctly. Please try again all the steps and let me know.

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried it again and nothing.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Do you still get the grating noise?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no noise no movement
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Do you still get the "wrong cartridge" error?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I still have the wrong cartridge error after turning the printer off and then on but the cartridge travels properly now.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Ok, are you using generic/remanufactured cartridges or genuine Canon ones?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am using the cannon ink cartridges and none are less than half ful.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

We have 2 options here

Option 1: The ink cartridges are old, dry or defective
Please replace them and try

Option 2: If the new ink cartridges do not work, then unfortunately the printhead is defective. The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace than the machine itself

Please note I do NOT work for Canon so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

Thank you

John Cappucci

John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to reply. besides printer problems I had internet problems. Although I am not happy that the answer is buy a new printer, I appreciated your help.